Tilt and Trim Problem 2004 Yamaha

TiltTrimProb

Recruit
My dad purchased a brand new from the dealer Hurricane with a 2004 Yamaha 115 Four-Stroke outboard engine. The whole thing is maybe a month old with no more than 5 hours. We were heading in from the gulf to load the boat when the trim would not work at all. We managed to manually raise the engine and noticed a ticking sound coming from the engine when the tilt switch on the gear selector handle and on the engine were pressed either up or down. We checked fuses, disconnected the battery, looking for tripped breakers and found nothing. The motor starts and runs fine but the sound is similar to the sound of an engine that has a low battery and the voltage isn't strong enough to even crank over. When we hold the button it sounds as if the hydraulic motor is barely turning or having a hard time turning or pumping(whatever it is supposed to do). I know it is under warranty but we had plans for the 4th and I was just checking to see if anyone knew of a solution that an average do-it yourselfer could accomplish. Thanks, and I appreciate any help.

vinney

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tilt and Trim Problem 2004 Yamaha

I would recommend you make sure the battery connects are tight. Make sure the largest cables are on the battery first. Thats about all your going to have For a push button fix. Tight is right. Battery connections first.