1991 Suzuki 75 water alarm

BrettL

Cadet
Hello... I was on my boat earlier today, and the motor was running excellent. I ran out of gas in one tank, so I switched to the other one, after doing so the motor ran awful and the water alarm kept going on. The motor sounded like it was running on 2 cylinders out of 3 and when I would rev it in neutral, the problem would go away but only for a short time. What does this mean? The motor did not over heat.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1991 Suzuki 75 water alarm

more than likely means ya got water in the fuel.<br /> try to dewater all the filters and clean your tanks and flush your line4s before running anymore.<br /> gfood luck and keep posting

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

ohh its a 91<br /> your motor also has a float switch in the water jacket not a water detection in the filter. do you still have a strong tell tale ?<br /> post us back more info

BrettL

Cadet

Yes, the tell tale is very strong actually, the motor pumps water great. What exactly is a float switch?

BrettL

Cadet

It seems to be that the motor is not overheating, it pumps water like a champ, and it is running much better today, although the water alarm is still on. Is there anyway I can reset this alarm?

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The switch he is talking about is a flapper. It inserts into the water passage and water flow past it lifts a flap that completes a circuit. In a way its a little bit like a minature bilge pump switch. Anyway what it senses is water flow, it doesn't say anything about pressure or overheating, only if there is any water moving in the passage. Oh, they do go bad and they are very easy to change, they are just held in place with a screw and an O-Ring. I think the cost about $35 as I recall.<br /><br />Thom