need help with yamaha 50..

catfishing

Cadet
hey guys im new here and i need help. i have a 1987 yamaha 50..low hours.. the outboard has been setting up for almost 1 year now b/c i was rebuilding my pontoon boat.. when i got finished and tried to start the engine it wouldnt turn over at all.. the battery is charged and ive begin tracking the problem down. i have a question about the starter relay. i checked evrything about the relay that my manual said and evrything checked out except when i measured the ohms across the ground lead and the lead that plugs into harness it measured 5.1ohms..the manual said 3 ohms at 68degress far. is the ohms that i measured right and what is this 68 degree stuff.. also what else do i need to check.. any help would be appreciated

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: need help with yamaha 50..

can you turn the flywheel by hand?

catfishing

Cadet

yes the egine will turn over. i can bypass the atarter relay and it will turn over but with the key nothing.

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

Check for 12 vo;ts postive at the starter relay when switch is in start position. Strong possibility of a bad switch if it is not there.

Billnicole

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the sam problem with my 40hp and it was the small red wire going to the relay was bad. It was broken at a factory splice...I hope this helps