3rd time around...poor telltale on 15 yamaha 2 stroke

new2obrepair

Seaman Apprentice
So far you guys have been a lot of help. Now I hope you can help again... I took the lower unit off again, and I have a secondary problem which I'll cover later, but I installed the 2nd complete water pump rebuild kit. lubed the impeller as instructed with waterproof "synthetic" grease. made sure the impeller was turned counter clockwise as the book said to. torqued to proper settings. Also removed powerhead and bottom cowling on motor. replaced the exhaust gaskets, checked all water tube seals, they were in very good shape. put it all back together... Ran very well for about 20 minutes in the tank setup I have, water 8 inches above cavitation plate. very strong stream of water, then I notice these small black bits in the water, it is tiny pieses of rubber. and my telltale stream reduced to nothing very quickly. Now what did I do wrong, the seals and plates can only go in one way, so the keeper slot should not be pointed up. any ideas?

new2obrepair

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 3rd time around...poor telltale on 15 yamaha 2 stroke

I Removed the foot again, tested good in the tank, good pressure. Put water hose on bottom tube that plugs into the water pump housing, clamped it on, ran water without t-stat or housing, good flow. put cover back on without t-stat istalled, ran low pressure water, telltale running ok, but also getting water out via the driveshaft channel in the midsection. IS THIS NORMAL?

nickjaxe

Cadet

Just had my pump apart as the tell tale was poor, took the lower leg off, the pump was fine but I had a look up the stack pipe from the pump to engine block, its copper on my engine, and in the pipe were bits of old pump blades restricting the flow, got these out its now fine, they must have been the for a while from when it had a new pump fitted about a year ago by a outboard motor shop, maybe this is your prob.<br /><br />Regards from nick inthe UK.

new2obrepair

Seaman Apprentice

checked the water pump impeller, no sign of damage there. I did use a product that I discovered at work to help seal the exhaust gaskets. It is called Red Lion Hi Temp RTV sealant. good up to 600 degrees. Could that be the problem, or at least the cause of the black pieces in the water tank. Last of all, my lower unit is leaking oil through the water weep holes in the fwd section of the lower unit above the cavitation plate. the water in the tank appears to have mixed oil in it. I did just refill the lower unit not long ago, it started doing it about that time, never has stopped weeping. when I pull the top screw, no oil comes out, I am getting close to giving up on this motor. A new one sounds better every day!