Yahama speedometer not working

bfrance

Recruit
I purchase a used Four Winns boat with a Yamaha 130TLRP motor. I also have a Yamaha multi-function speedometer which all of the other functions work except for the speedometer. Does the speedometer have a transducer like a fish locator or does it have a pressure / vacuum port in the motor that activates the speedometer? I have what appears to be a transducer on the back of the boat which appears to have the head missing but I'm not sure if it is connected to anything since there is another one there for the depth finder.<br />Thanks for your help.

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Yahama speedometer not working

Normal practice is to hook to the pitot tube built into the leading edge of the lower unit. This can be clogged up. You can clean out with a small hand held manual drill if you are careful. Very easy to break the bit off in the pitot. In our rivers, life expectancy of the repair can be in minutes before reclogging. Many people have given up on it and gone to GPS units to measure speed.

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Yahama speedometer not working

I have cleaned out the pitot on my 225 about 20 times in 11 years and as the previous post suggested, have given up. It's a bad design.<br /><br />Yeah, and I did break off a drill - so I pushed it into the chamber with another drill - it's been there for years.....