Do I need to tape of a second water pickup on Muffs? Suzuki DT200

R_Andersen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1989 Suzuki DT200 that I just picked up. I replaced the water pump and started the motor up on the mufflers yesterday. I get no water flow at all through the motor. I pulled both hoses from the thermostat housings and they were both completely dry.<br /><br />I have heard that you need to tape of a second water inlet on these motors when you run them on the mufflers and I was wondering if this is true? If so, where are the second water intakes located and could not taping them off cause teh loss of water flow when I ran it?<br /><br />Thanks for any help,<br />Rob

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Do I need to tape of a second water pickup on Muffs? Suzuki DT200

yes<br /> the sub-water intake is the plastic screen under the cavitation plate just fwd of the trim tab.<br /> it is recommended to block this off when using the muffs<br />good luck and keep posting

R_Andersen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, thanks for the info. <br /><br />Is it possible that by not blocking that off, I didn't get any water flow up through the pump? I ran the motor for about 30 seconds and I didn't get any water out of the pisser or the prop hub and the thermostat hoses were completely dry when I took them off.... I'm going to block off that water passage and run it again tomorrow to see what happens.<br /><br />Thanks again,<br />Rob

philtheskipper

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 89 dt140 usually takes about 30 seconds before the water sensor stops alarming, letting me know that there is sufficient water flow. Before I knew about the secondary water inlet it did take longer. You might be alright when you try it again. Does your motor have the same water flow alarm?

R_Andersen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, I taped off the second water pickup and used a better fitting set of muffs and everything is fine now. Thanks for all the help..<br /><br />-Rob

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I just thought I should tell you. Yesterday afternoon I sold a good strong 1989 DT-200 that had over 2,000 hours on it, almost all in saltwater, and I would bet that the engine had not been flushed 5 times in 15 years. It is absolutly unnecessary and while guys rant and rave when I say this I still beleive it, flushing an outboard is more likely to do harm to the engine than it is that it will do any good at all. You could not pay me to put a set of muffs on my new DT-225 and start it up.<br /><br />Thom