Suzuki DT 85 Upper Oil Seal

rino

Seaman Apprentice
I got a new upper oil seal on the part that holds the stator and pulser coils. The old one leaked oil up through the driveshaft and got the coils and flywheel oily.<br /><br />The new one has a rubber core in it that looks like it should fit around the flywheel and fix the problem but push and shove; it's too tight.<br /><br />It was off a 1984 or so DT75 which Suzuki said was the same part number as my 1981 DT85.<br /><br />Any ideas how to get this rubber part on? Eventually I pushed hard enough that the oil seal popped out of the base.<br /><br />Would pictures help?<br /><br />Any ideas?

rino

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Suzuki DT 85 Upper Oil Seal

The entire upper bearing assembly turns along with the crankshaft. Looks like the upper bearing is frozen and so I can't get the oil seal on.<br /><br />Do I have to disassemble the power head and pistons, etc to get the bearing off to examine it or just pull it off somehow?<br /><br />It looks like a new one is $111 09264-30006 Soon my engine "fix-up" will be three times the cost of the boat and I'll still have a barely running old engine.

rino

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Suzuki DT 85 Upper Oil Seal

Update:<br /><br />I found I could hammer the bearing down into the crankcase and the oil seal fit in place nicely so the bearing might be fine.<br /><br />Took the boat out for the first time;<br />first putting it in reverse locked up the prop (it needed a kick to free it up), then it wouldn't stay in reverse so I had to pop the cover and hold the shift level down to back up (I'll adjust the shift linkage).<br /><br />It idled over to the dock no problem; took it out for a ride and it was banging a lot at 5 mph; picked up speed to 25 mph and it was loud and sounded out of tune (I'll adjust carbs later)<br /><br />It started stalling on the way back to the dock; I barely limped in by choking it when it's dying; primer bulb was hard and vent was open (not sure the cause)<br /><br />Limped to the dock and took off the flywheel and a piece of magnet from the flywheel had broken loose and scuffed up the stator. The bolts on my new oil seal housing to the stator were broken off and missing. I meticulously tightened the oil seal down and stator bolts every time so they must have fallen out because of an impact.<br /><br />I walked it onto the trailer pretty mad ready to junk the engine and get a cheap old Johnson 33 hp.<br /><br />I have another flywheel and an oil seal housing with two of three bolts; so I'll try it and see if it runs in the driveway. If the stator is fried that'll be the last straw to reduce it to a parts motor.