SuzukiDF60T Caution Sensors NG?

Cliffster

Recruit
Got the engine back after getting it "commissioned" for the new season; 4 years old under 5 year extended warranty about 200 hours. Cruising at idel speed on Day 1, CHECK ENGING light comes on; I kill the engine, check things out and then go to restart. Nothing. No trim, no nothing. We get towed in, trailer up, head home. During wash down, on a whim during flush-out, I hit the key and - it starts. Hmmm. Take it to the dealer, they say its due to a cheapo Astrolite battery I have. Hmmm. Well OK, I buy the battery. Then, after about an hour at low RPMs, the CHECK ENGINE light comes on, coinciding with three beeps. I keep cool and leave the engine running and head for shore. Get home and flush it per usual and decide to run the engine at low RPMs to see if I can get the CHECK ENGINE light to come on. I let it idle for a while then crank it to 2200 RPM and the TEMP light comes on! WHOA! I kill it and wait, check the water flow - good and cold. Hmmm. SO... I start it up, same deal and again the TEMP light and beeper issue a warning; I kill it and take it to the Suzuki guys. OK, any theories? The motor seems to be running fine; is this a sensor issue? And what about the new battery theory offered by the Suzuki guys? I am meticulous about my boat, maintenance and such and now I am quesy about this engine. Please advise/comment.

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer
Re: SuzukiDF60T Caution Sensors NG?

The only "Check Engine" alarm that will cause a no start/no trim is the low battery alarm. Your battery cables and terminals must be clean and have lock washers or lock nuts. You may have a charging system problem (very rare on Suzuki's) which would take about an hour running on a new battery to get below 10 volts. The temp alarm was because you ran it on the hose at too high RPM - the engine did not actually overheat, the temp just rose to quickly. Why did you run it to 2200RPM on the hose?

Cliffster

Recruit

Hey thanks. I was trying to recreate the conditions causing the CHECK ENGINE. Th terminals are OEM and clean, set tight with a nylon insert locking nut provied to me by the dealership. I do realize that the sensors see the rate of rise and notify accordingly; luckilly then that is working and I caused no harm. Interesting to know that the low batt condition kills all motor functions. If it were not charging correctly, how often would the alarm go off - does the warning stay lit for the duration of the fault condition or does one assume a warning remains problematic until digsnosed? When the light goes off, is the situation AOK?<br /><br />Maybe I should re-check all terminals and connections.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Cliffster.<br /><br />Cold water from the telltale means nothing. The DF60/70 telltales are connected before the engine block. They indicate input water pressure only.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Meggacatz

Cadet

I have heard that the motor will not function with low battery voltage but I have not experienced it (yet?). This low voltage problem was one that another "dealer" was saying back in '99 trying to sell me on their two-stroke motor. I didn't listen and got a '99 DF70. I was out with a guide when the Suzuki 4 stroke 115 came out and the guide was using it. He also heard about the voltage problem and suggested closely monitoring the battery.<br />Whatever you do - avoid getting water mixed in the fuel cuz' it'll create a real headache.

Cliffisher

Recruit

Update: <br /><br />TEMP WARNING: Dealer checked the motor; there was a small piece of plastic fiber caught in the cooling loop. They fished it out at a coupling point. CHECK ENGINE also attributed to that as there was still ample battery power to restart, tilt etc.<br /><br />Still gnawing on the battery issue.<br /><br />Not to sound ignorant but to 'closely monitor'n the battery, that means I need to add a guage I guess? What about a standby battery? How would that work? <br /><br />New to this board and I am humbled and quite grateful for all you share. :cool:

Meggacatz

Cadet

Cliffisher - I too am new & found the board because of my recent engine problem. <br /><br />The guide cannot afford to loose a charter on a battery. Here in FL the heat kills most batteries in a very short time (usually under 3 years). He replaces his battery yearly and sells his "used" battery. He figures if he spends $100 for a new battery he can get $40-50 for it next year. For him, $50-60 per year for no problems is money well spent.<br /><br />I require several years from my battery and purchased a quality battery charger that I plug in when the boat is not in use. This helps to maintain the battery between starts. It seems to work well and it has a built in battery sensor that flashes when the battery is not taking a proper charge. This is what I got from the guides conversation about monitoring the battery.<br /><br />I have a dual purpose battery installed in the bow for a trolling motor. The trolling motor battery is connected and can "jump" the primary battery by closing a switch. I did not use the selector switch (off/on/batt1/batt2) because you could drain both batteries by leaving the selector in the wrong position. I used a Hella brand switch with a removable key. When the key is not inserted and turned the connection is not made. This is working well for me.<br /><br />I found the electrical advise section of the West Marine catalog to have some good information about batteries and electrical systems. Hope some of this rambling helps.