Questions for Suzuki Tech with access to 1997 DT 150 manual

Steamboat

Seaman
Trying to trouble shoot an intermitent overheat alarm problem and Clymer manual doesn't provide all the information I want. Trying to determine 1) Normal engine temperature and where measured; 2) Normal water pressure at idle and/or other speeds. Problem occurs after running engine for awhile, shut down for at least 15 minutes, run at 3000 rpm for 1/2 mile or so and engine overheat alarm sounds, shut off engine restart immediately - no alarm and can run from that point on without alarms. Problem will happen everytime I shutdown for at least 15 minutes and always at about the same distance/time from startup. Engine has 110 hrs on it and this issue started about 30 hrs ago (very seldom run at alrm conditions so first few times I didn't think it was an issue since restart cleared the alarm). I have replaced the spark plugs, water pump impeller, thermostats and have ordered both temp sensors to be replaced. Engine runs good and gets good economy, had good water stream before and after impeller change out, spark plugs looked damp (running rich?) when replaced but engine has always started and run well, engine is generally run in fresh water with occasional excursions into saltwater and always flushed after saltwater use. Any ideas from the experts?

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Questions for Suzuki Tech with access to 1997 DT 150 manual

Does this engine use the same alarm for low oil injection flow as well as an overheat? If the oil screen beneath the oil tank is clogged you may be getting a low oil flow alarm.

Steamboat

Seaman

According to the owners manual and Clymer's and personal observation, this engine has an oil flow switch and oil level sensor and they have corresponding lights and symbols on the dash mounted engine monitor guage. The engine is using oil (as indicated by checking the oil level in the tank visually) but since it varies the oil to gas ratio depending on speed, I'm not sure if it's the correct flow rate (assume it is since the engine still runs). The engine temp alarm is the one that lights up when the horn goes off.

dmenbiker

Recruit

I also have a 97 dt140. There are many anomalies that will sound the alarm. A partially plugged oil filter will alarm and reduce rpm. Low battery voltage will do the same. Maybe even a partially plugged fuel filter? I have a great mechanic here who is excellent at trouble shooting my problems. If the engine will run over 3000 rpm and then slow down upon a warning light, I believe there is a flashing sequence on the warning display that might narrow the problem area. The shop manual describes the flash sequences and sometimes points to the problem area. Good luck!

phatmanmike

Captain

i have access to that manual , here is alink to all the info you could ever need here