Yamaha 115hp Dies -- Can't find problem

Fastelin

Recruit
I purchased a 115hp Yamaha in 2001. Used it the summer of 2001 and 2002 without a hitch. Last summer (2003) it died out a minimum of 8 times. The warning beep will come on, the motor will die, and it will not restart. Numerous trips to four different dealers have found NOTHING. Needless to say, this ruined my fising last summer. Contacted Yamaha and they insist that their dealers say that the motor is "running within specifications". Didn't know that running withing specs means it dies every trip. Took it out this last week, and it died again -- first trip out. I am so frustrated with this motor that I have started to look for a replacement, but if I am honest at all about problems, no one will give me any trade value on it. Really need your help on this one.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha 115hp Dies -- Can't find problem

hello<br /> i really need more info. do you have the digital gauges? when you say it dies does it quit completly or just miss badly. does it crank over after it dies does it go click or what. is this a c model a two stoke or a 4 stroke? ya gotta help us help you. have the dealerships watertested the rig or just run on the muffs.also be aware that if the motor was older inventory yamaha had some impellor failure problems on the 98,99 and some 2000 v motors. they wont admit it but I was replacing torn impellors at 20 hours.<br />anyway post more info we will try to help

Fastelin

Recruit

Sorry -- here's more info:<br />It's a 2001 4 stroke probably under 100 hours. No digital gauges just a tach, speedometer, and water pressure and all read normal. They have already replaced the impeller, the computer (brain box), and the forward-reverse safety switch, all at different times. When it dies, the motor shuts off completely (no clicks or alarms). When you try to restart, the alarm goes off. The engine will turn over, but will not fire. After about 30-40 minutes, it will restart and run for about 15 seconds, then dies again for the next 30-40 minutes, etc. By the time we get to the dealer everything is working fine, and their computer registers no problems. It happens at various speeds -- wide-open, trolling, half throttle, no real pattern. It has been tested more extensively on the muffs, but has also been tested on the water for several days. The problem is that it is sporadic and unpredictable. Thanks for replying -- really hope you can help me out.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> <br /> you have a emegency stop switch or stop wiring problem. the alarm will sound a steady tone at cranking if the computer sees a grond on the ignition circuit when cranking.have the dealer show you how to disable the stop circuit at the engine so the next time it happens you can dissconnect the engine from the hull wiring. my guess is you have a stop switch that is contaminated to soap or water.<br />but the steady alarm at cranking is the computer alerting you that the starter is engaged while the stop circuit is active.<br /> good luck and keep posting