25HP Yamaha (about 10 hrs on it) won't start

Goose Hunter

Cadet
I can't start a recently purchased 25hp Yamaha, rope start, with about 10hrs on motor. It is a model number F25MSHB. Primary ID is 65WS-1004567. The last time I used it, (which was about 5 days ago) I ran out the fuel by disconnecting the gas hose from the engine until the motor quit running. Which is what I've always done in the past. Then I tilt the engine up with the carburator side up. The boat is in the water, so I don't leave the engine in the running position. Today I tried to start it and after many pulls on the rope, realized that I forgot to attach the lanyard to the shutoff button. I did have the gas line connected and the bulb pumped up and the gas tank vent open. I just can't get it started. Any ideas before I take it to a dealer would be appreciated, as it not very easy to take the engine off the boat and carry it up the ramp.<br /><br />Thanks in advance.

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: 25HP Yamaha (about 10 hrs on it) won't start

My guess is that you have flooded it big time. Pull the plugs, diconect the kill switch, turn the engine over untill you are sure you have all the excess fuel out of the engine. Wouldnt hurt to spray a little fogging oi into the cyliders as you have washed away most of the oil in there, then install fresh spark plugs and reattatch the kill swich. Im sure you will have no problem starting it. It will smoke a little untill you get the fogging oil out of it.

Goose Hunter

Cadet

OK great. Thanks LubeDude for the quick response. I'll do what you said.<br /><br />Goose Hunter

Mercathode

Petty Officer 1st Class

If this is a new motor shouldnt warranty fix it?

magilla gorilla

Recruit

I have this same exact engine and problem, i have been suffering with this for a year now. im finally going to take it back to the dealer and hopefully come back with something else. (another brand)<br /><br />this has happened to me at least 10 times in the past year, and i have lost faith in the engine. i replaced the plugs 4 times and its still doing it. <br /><br />i also thought it was flooded but it should start after the excess gas is out of it. it has spark, it just starts when it wants to.<br /><br />im glad to hear that im not the onlyone with this problem. ill let you know what my dealer says about it when i bring it there.