sx150 2003

robnik1

Seaman
Hello<br />Have a 150 yamaha, 2003, still breaking in, still running premix. It is not using any oil. I have remove oil output from oil pump and at idle rpms it is pumping oil, however output must be low because I have never added oil to the remote tank( level has not gone down). would this mean pump is faulty? It appears, looking at the manual, pump is shaft driven and in that case most likely pump is turning. Manual does not go into detail on oil pump. Any thoughts?<br />Thanks

robnik1

Seaman
Re: sx150 2003

Hello<br /> Also on this same engine, after a day of fishing notice a ticking sound, was worried may have somthing to do with lube problem, traced tick down to o2 sensor. Found sensor very dirty. Cleaned sensor no more ticking. Any explaination? Should a dirty sensor cause a ticking sound?<br />Thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> in the tech manual there is a procedure for an oil output at pump closed and pump open. you should see the output increase and decrease when moving the link. be aware that at low engine speeds this system does not use much oil. how many gallons of gas have you used so far and at what average engine speed ?

robnik1

Seaman

I have used a gallon and a half of oil(premix). So that should be 75 gallons of gas, however Im sure I over mixed, either way I know it is using some but I have never added to the remote tank and the level is at the low line at the fill to marks. Also every heard an O2 sensor tick like a car engine valves in need of oil? Will a dirty O2 sensor cause oil problems, dont see how it could.<br />Thanks for the reply

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> just so we are playing from the same play book let me clarify the terminology. the remote tank is mounted in the hull. the engine oil tank (the one with level marks )is mounted on the engine.<br /> as the engine tank level drops the sensor/switch assy turns a small transfer pump,located in the remote tank, on and off to maintain the oil level in the engine tank between the marks. I was inquireing as to how much gasoline you have actually ran. at low speeds the sx150 does not burn a lot of oil. how much gasoline have you burned so far and about what average RPM. Yes I have seen the o2 sensor drawtubes stop up and they will sound like a bad wrist pin. that usually indicates a problem. that is why I am asking about how much gasoline you have burned and how fast are you running the engine. cleaning the o2 sensor is part of the 10 hour service and that is why. so your oi; consumption tests need to be done at the remote tank not the engine tank.<br /> good luck and keep posting

robnik1

Seaman

Gotcha<br /> Spoke with tech today and he suggested the same. Generally Im running 3000 rpm. But after running 75 gallons of gas Im sure it should be calling for oil in the remote tank. I know Im using some oil because of my test, just dont think Im using enough. Tech said this is unlikely , oil pump works or it dont, no in between. I know it is pumping some but after 7 trips of some sort I have yet to add oil to the remote.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> at that rpm and 75 gallons it should have used 1 to 1 1/2 gallons of oil. the remote holds 2.9 or 5 depending on the tank. are you sure you have the engine and remote tanks properly identified?<br /> the remote tank has no level marks on it.<br /> good luck and keep posting

vinney

Chief Petty Officer

The larger 5.0 gallon oil tank has marks on it. When we rig 250 HPDI's or 300 HPDI's we install the larger tanks. There are three line on them.

robnik1

Seaman

Thanks for the response.<br /> I am positive this is the remote, not the "on board= On the motor)tank. The tank on the motor holds about a pint. It has marks on it as well. I have over filled this tank by using the by- pass switch. I did this to determine if ANY oil was being use, as the engine will use the oil it will only refill to the top fill line with out over filling and then I would know there is some use. The test did prove there was some use. However I have never added oil to the remote tank because the level has yet to drop below the lower fill to mark. So I know it is using but I believe it is not using enough, say at high rpm. I notice the lever on the oil injector pump has no resistance in movement when I disconnected the link, as if it is not connected to anything internal, does this sound possilbile? There is a test in my manual, requires a graduated cylinder to be exact, gonna try putting something together. Says remove pump out put line going to fuel pump and fill graduated cylinder while running engine at 1500 rpm and running oil pump wide open for 3 min. Something all try this weekend I hope. <br />I really like the engine, just wanting not to burn it up.(the little things!)<br /><br />Thanks for the help

robnik1

Seaman

Also<br /> Is there any performance to be gained or lost by having a dirty o2 sensor<br />thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> a dirty O2 sensor can do all sorts of things. in extreme cases it can cause piston failure. clean it at the 10 hour and then every hundred or yearly.