Fuel - OK or not

scottoz

Seaman
G'day all. I have a 94 Yammy 115 V4 2 stroke. It is oil injected. I have 2 60litre alloy tanks under floor. I have fuel in them that is about 3 months old now. I run a very good (fine) filter and water seperator. My question is, will my filter pick up any crap in the fuel that could cause varnishing etc or am I better off either syphoning the fuel out and starting again, or using a re-freshing product?<br /><br />Cheers all.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Fuel - OK or not

The filters won't remove varnish or prevent varnish from occurring. Filters remove particulates like dirt and rust and some will remove water. Varnish or gum occurrs when gas evaporates. The gum occurs when heavier elements in the fuel react with air, much like paint drying (hence the name varnish). I would think that at 3 months you would be OK for now but I would try to run out that fuel as soon as possible. I don't know that adding a fuel stabilizer after the fact will help but it would only hurt your wallet.

bruce537

Cadet

HELLO<br />I live in Boston Mass and take my boat out about Oct 15, then it sits until the following April.<br />I keep the tank full to minimize condensation, I do add a good fuel stabilizer in Oct and run the boat 30 miles down the coast before it goes on the trialer so the fuel stabilizer is well dispersed through the motor. So the gas sits for 6-7 months, I have never had a problem.<br />I change the fuel/water separator before the boat goes back in the water and again after the first tank is run out in the spring.

ddaigle

Petty Officer 1st Class

Add some fresh gas to it, this tends to rejuvinate old gas as long as its not too old. 3 months shouldn't be a problem unless you have abunch of alcohol in your gas down there.

scottoz

Seaman

thanks a lot fellas - no alcohol at all in the gas here. One further question - there is a product here called FuelZorb that claims to disperse water and remove varnish simply by adding it to the fuel and running it through. Has anyone used such a product or have any thoughts on its likely effectiveness?<br /><br />Cheers<br /><br />Scott

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

If you put isopropyl alcohol (100% rubbing alcohol) in gas it will help absorb some of the water. However, I'm am suspiciious of claims to remove varnish. There are similar products here and where you are that reduce the likelyhood of varnish forming as gas ages but I (my opinion) don't believe they will remove them once they have started to form. Varnish (gum) usually forms where gas evaporates and leaves a residue. Adding solvents to paint won't stop it from drying it just may take longer.