Steering tube removal

Walt9064

Cadet
I am sure that this is a simple question to answer, however I have never done this and am curious about what is involved and should I bother.<br /> I have a 1987 115HP Yamaha. The steering cable and helm are only two years old. As I begin to prep the boat for warm weather I noticed the "/']=-0##4!!, on the end of the cable. It looked to be hard and dried grease mostly. I removed the cable from the engine, ( with the assistance of a hammer and punch), then I used part of my shotgun cleaning kit with the wire brush end installed to clean the inside of the tube that lies between the left and right mounting brackets. The tube still looked pretty nasty and I was willing to let it go at that, but when I attempted to install an aftermarket item that allows you to grease the shaft I found that the threads on the end of the shaft were toast. I began to look at how the shaft appeared to be installed. I removed the one nut from the starboard side only as far as the end of the tube and took my brass hammer and started to wail on it. I didn't see any movement and before I opened up my can of worms any further I thought it to be prudent to ask you. Thank you. :confused:

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Steering tube removal

hello<br /> a bigger hammer, a larger whale and oxygen acetylyne.<br /> man if its that corroded you will find its terrible to get off. the tube has the nut welded on the port side. anyway you will need the bushings and the thrust washers.<br /> be aware that when you knock it loose, the motor will fall. use the motor lifting tool that threads on the crankshaft in place of the flywheel nut. I have had to burn several out with the torch. its dicey but doable if your good with smoke and careful.<br /> good luck and keep posting