Suzuki DT 85, 1982 electrical

mrn714

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Still having problems with no spark second plug, but when I connect the lead from the first to the second, spark. No bad wires. Any one know of a way to correct or check out CDI unit?

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Suzuki DT 85, 1982 electrical

Hi,<br />According to Seloc Suzuki repair manual (1988-1999) there is Suzuki CDI tester and test cord package for testing a CDI unit. A CDI unit can be tested with this equipement when the CDI unit remain installed on the outboard or it can be tested removed from the outboard.<br /><br />According to Clymer Suzuki shop manual (1985-1991) You can perform some tests with a suitable peak reading voltmeter and an ohmmeter. Things like peak voltage output, CDI unit output, charge coil output, pulser coil, counter coil and battery charging coil output should be possible to test with these equipements. The procedure how to do the tests are described in the Clymer manual (but regarding DT85 only for 1988-on, I do not know if the procedure is usable on a 1982 DT85 also).<br /><br />I suggest You visit a Suzuki service center to have Your CDI unit tested. If it is broken maybe You can find a second hand to avoid to buy a brand new CDI unit that is probably rather expensive.<br /><br />I had a Suzuki DT65 (1991) before, great 2-stroke. Never had any problem with the CDI unit on the DT65 I had (but I had other problems...). I use Yamaha F115 now.<br /><br />Good luck!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Suzuki DT 85, 1982 electrical

hello<br /> sorry I was delayed. I have my manual on my lap now so let me see if I can help.<br />condenser charge coil low speed wire colores black/red to red white should read 680-831 ohms. high speed wire colors red/white to black should be 114-140 ohms. I doubt this is a problem but check it. now pulser coil. the number 1 and 3 cyl share a single pulser the number 2 is a seperate pulser. they are located under the flywheel. to test use an ohm meter again<br />green to yellow red is #1and3 cyl. should read 320 t0 391 ohms. the # 2 is pink to white red and should read 320 to 391 ohms on the ign coils the primary windings should read .21-.29 ohms and the seconday 2130-2880 ohms.<br /><br /> I hope this helps<br /> good luck and keep posting<br /> ps if the #2 cdi output will spark #3 coil and the #3 CDI output wont spark #2 coil then I would suspect a faulty ign coil.<br /> or a bad ground. if you have a peak reading meter you can check this