Suzuki DT150 Lower RPM Problems

Peter019fishing

Recruit
I have a DT150 S/N 15002 351190 I believe it is a 1993 Model. At low rpm's (below 3000)it has what appears to be a intermittant short causing a reaction as if you are turning the ignition key on and off. The all the warning lights light on and the audible alarm sounds during this time of malfunction. Just like they do before the key is turn to the start position. It only lasts a second and the motor returns to normal. There appears to be no time pattern to this. Once in a while it will do it at rpms higher than 3000. I brought it to an authorized Suzuki servicer and he is telling me that I need to replace the ECM part number 33920-87D00 @ a cost of $1325.00 with no guarantee that will solve the problem and no returning the part if it doesn't. He has replaced the ignition switch and fuel injection relay (P/N 38910-92E00)Still acting the same way. I'm no outboard motor expert but it sure seems like something is grounding out. I've been told by another Suzuki servicer out in NJ that the electronics on a Suzuki are rock solid and he wouldn't even sell me the module. This problem was all of a sudden. It was not gradual at all. I'm not happy about a $1325.00 gamble. Any ideas on what to do?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Suzuki DT150 Lower RPM Problems

hello<br /> wow I am thinking before a did that I would trace the key on 12 to the computer throgh the wire harnness untaping it if nessasary. if the computer loses its ground or its 12v positive feed it will go back though a power up mode. and it will self test all the alarms. sometimes the solder splices in the wiring harness under the black tape will fail. yours is the hardest of all to solve cause there is no reliable way to repeat the failure. but I have worked on and about suzuki outboards since about 1990 and I have never seen an ECM failure on a v6. I guess they do I just have never seen it.<br /> good luck but I would chase the wiring harness first.<br />if its a short its easy to find. remember shorts to ground let the smoke out. if its not blowing fuses look for opens

PRO-V

Recruit
Re: Suzuki DT150 Lower RPM Problems

Mr. Stoddard, must have been one sharp dude that steered you to this website. If I was you, I would treat him with great respect.... :D