Suzuki Pinion gear removal

jfwsfl

Recruit
1986 Suzuki DT65. <br />I purchased a used motor with a gear problem. I removed the lower unit from the engine.<br />I opened the lower unit and removed the Fwd/Rev gears and found several broken gear teeth. No damage is apparent to the case or other parts. <br />Now the problem. I have been unable to remove the 14mm nut retaining the pinion gear to the drive shaft. I have not been able to get the nut to move. Don't know if it is an L or R thread. I eventually damaged (rounded) the nut and need some advice on how best to proceed now. Heat, Dremel, chisel? <br />Also any suggestions in the best place to purchase a replacement gear set would be appreciated.

delkern

Recruit
Re: Suzuki Pinion gear removal

Hi, Im working on a Suzuki dt65, I just removed the nut you are talking about, It comes off counter clock wise, I used a socket and ratchet and wedged a large crescent handle in behind the ratchet to keep it from slipping off the nut, The large gear came out without pulling the smaller one, just turned the shaft and pulled on gear. good luck<br />Mike