Hydraulic Steering?

Captn Dave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm redoing a 17' Mckee by removing the two forward side consoles and installing a center console. I bought this boat last year, took one test ride and haven't used it since. The present steering is a Teleflex Safe-T system and I'm considering going with a Baystar hydraulic system. I had a 24' Grady White with a 225 HP Evinrude with cable steering and I remember what a bear it was to handle at low speeds. <br />The Mckee has a 140 HP Johnson and weighs about 1300 lbs W/O the engine. <br />Now is the time to replace the steering if I'm going to but there's considerable expense going hydraulic.<br />What do you guys think? Is it worth it with the 140 HP engine?

islandboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Hydraulic Steering?

If it's used in saltwater, hydraulic is the way to go. Just my opinion. Consider the price of a new steering box, cable and adapters versus about $700 for the hydraulic system and see if you want spend a little more for a smoother and less maintenance system.

Trophy23

Seaman
Re: Hydraulic Steering?

Wave, contact me at my email address about the Baystar Hydraulic system. What year motor is the Johnson 140??? I bought one and planed on using for a kicker on my 23 foot Trophy since Dealer said he couldn't hook up a steering link rod to main motor. Turns out I fabricated one with no problem, hence no use for system. Might be great deal if you can use it.