Suzuki 150SS Compression?

skeepyjack

Recruit
I did a compression test on my Suzuki 1988 150SS V6, reading on all 6 cylinders are 80-85PSI. Is that too low? How is about your? Thanks

TexSkeeter150

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Suzuki 150SS Compression?

I would think that should be fine. I just had my 1991 150 SS checked in November by my mechanic and have 90-88 in all 6 cylinders and was told that was perfect. You won't get the realy high compression untill you pressurerize the crankcase on 2-strokes.

sorrydog

Seaman

I would think it is on the low side but OK. It could also be low because your guage, if it's cold, if the throttle is closed, if your battery is low, if your starter is weak, etc.<br /><br />If it bothers you, you can do a leakdown test.<br /><br />BTW- I get 85-90 on my high hour 150's and 103-105PSI on my 200 but it's low hours.

skeepyjack

Recruit

Would you show me how to do leakdown test? I started to worry about my low compressions since I going to use my boat for off-shore Tuna fishing outside Golden Gate.

grid

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wouldn't even give any leakdown test any consideration unless it was done on a 4-stroke. You're not far from the new 100PSI readings, so go enjoy your boating.

mrn714

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your compression is fine for your boat. As long as all readings are within 7 lbs in each. <br /><br /> :D

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> dude with those readings and a good iudle no worries.<br /> go boating and engoy. your first indication of poor compression will be a flaky idle. your second will be a rod hanging. two strokes dont run long after comhbustion gases start blasting past the rings. the compression will remain good until that happens and the the failure will be sudden.<br /> yours sounds about right. the 91 225 jonnyrudes only had about 80 psi. <br />good luck and keep posting

sorrydog

Seaman

two strokes dont run long after comhbustion gases start blasting past the rings. the compression will remain good until that happens and the the failure will be sudden.
Huh??<br />I don't understand what you are saying. You say 2 strokes are ready to go once gases start to blowby. This guy has 80psi when new is 100 or better so obviously there is some blowby or leaking gasket or something like that... so are you saying his motor is about to go?<br /><br />BTW - if it was mine, I would do another test and if it yielded the same result, run it for a while and think about rings or pistons next year.