Yamaha 2 or 4 stroke

willbjew123

Cadet
I have a 17 ft 1990 Key west.I currentally have a 70 johnson on it and i am going to replace it with a yamaha. My question is should i go with 4 stroke or 2 stroke. I am going to use it for pulling skiers and wake boarders up. I am not concerned really with top speed. but get up and go power. I have heard good things about the 4 strokes. The boat max says it is a 90 (i assume 2 stroke) so if i went with a 4 stroke i would have to get a smaller horse power because of weight. what do yall think

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Yamaha 2 or 4 stroke

willbjew123,<br />Comparison Johnson 70 2-stroke that You have:<br /><br />1) A Johnson 70 4-stroke or Suzuki DF70 4-stroke would be the closest You can get in performance to what You have and still not have a to heavy 4-stroke, I would guess.<br /><br />2) Yamaha F75 or F90 4-stroke is even more heavy, so are Mercury F75 and F90 4-stroke.<br />Mercury Optimax 75 and 90 (both DFI 2-strokes) are also to heavy for Your boat in my opinion.<br /><br />3) As for 2-strokes I would check out these:<br />- Yamaha 90 2-stroke (very light)<br />- Mercury 90 Classic 2-stroke (also light)<br /><br />4) If for example CARB 3- or 2-star is important to You and lower fuel consumption regarding 2-stroke I would add also (both not so heavy):<br />- Tohatsu 90 TLDI (CARB 2-star)<br />- Evinrude E-tech 90 (CARB 3-star)<br /><br />Johnson 70 4-stroke or Suzuki DF70 is probably the realistic alternative for 4-strokes in Your case since the other larger 4-strokes mentioned will be heavier.<br />Yamaha 90 2-stroke is very light, probably just a little heavier than your present Johnson 70 hp, so that would be a strong candidate. If You can get a Tohatsu TLDI or Evinrude E-tech serviced near You - maybe consider a 90 hp from them?<br /><br />Good luck!<br /><br />/Bo

willbjew123

Cadet

Do u know which motors have a good get up and go on plain rate. I know it depends on the boats weight and load but i wan the get up and go to be very good and a decent top speed

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> most 2 strokes will out accelerate a 4 stroke cause they have a power stroke every revolution as opposed to the 4 strokes every other.<br /> but mostly try to get a ride on a boat with one before you buy. both engines are good. the yammi 2 stroke 90 is a solid proven workhorse, the E-tec is this years technology so I dont trust it. the TLDI has been around a few years. there really are no bad 4 stroke 90's just some are a lot heavier than others<br /> good luck and I hope all is clear now :) :)

willbjew123

Cadet

I have rode with a guy that had 2 225 yamaha 4 strokes that pured. but didnt get up and go. I want to be able to pull skiers up FAST but not necessarly go fast. But i know that i want a good realibly motor... 4 stoke or not

alexc

Seaman Apprentice

consider 4 or 5 blade prop when you want pulling power. Ask the dealer for loaner to try. good luck!