Yamaha 4-Stroke 80/90/100 HP

InABind

Recruit
I live in a lakefront community with strict boating regulations. 90HP is the max allowed on this small lake. I ordered a 17 foot Hurricane Fundeck with a 90HP Yamaha 4 stroke back in 2000. The dealer (well aware of the rules) delivered a 100HP with an 80HP decal. He said "no problem ... we do it all the time, no one will ever know". Like an idiot, I accepted delivery. It's an F100TLRZ (2001). I've been using it for a few years and it's great! Things have gotten out of hand on the lake. Now there are 115HP and 150HP boats on the lake and the boating committee is cracking down. I'm trying to explore options to get myself out of this mess. <br /><br />I went back to the original dealer. The guy we dealt with originally was out that day, so we met with the service manager instead. We were the 3rd person that day with the over-HP problem. The sales manager originally insisted that we had ordered the 100HP, since his bill of sale showed that. We showed him our bill of sale which only said Yamaha 4-stroke - no HP (our mistake), and I think at that point he realized we were telling the truth. He said that there was no 90HP Yamaha when we ordered it, so they must have ordered the 100HP instead. He says that the only difference between the 80HP and the 100HP was the carburetor. He says that even though Yamaha calls it 100HP, back in 2001 they sold the same exact motor to Mercury which sold it as 90HP. Also that the current Yamaha 90HP is the same as the 100HP I already have. He hinted that I might want to change the sticker on the transom to make the problem go away. We said we didn't want to do that. He then recommended replacing my old 100HP, with a new 4 stroke 90HP. He was going to work up a price, which we asked to have in writing. Later on he called. He remembered that he has a 2001 80HP 4 stroke in good condition and is willing to swap for no charge. <br />Such a deal! He's willing to extend the warranty one year as a good will gesture. Previously he had recommended against an 80 HP, especially for water skiing, then he remembered he had one. <br /><br />We went to another dealer a few miles away. He said that he would trade our 100HP for a new 2004 90HP 4 stroke for $3500, but said it was a shame since they were identical. He then remembered that he has a brand new 2001 (how can that be?) 80HP 4 stroke F80TLRZ. He says it is brand new, never been used. We'd get the factory warranty starting when we power it up the first time. He says that it is identical to my 100HP. He swares that the only difference between the 80HP and the 100HP is the propeller. And we can trade for only $2500. He suggested we keep the propeller from the current motor, so we'd really have a 100HP which is in all ways labeled as 80HP.<br /><br />Is either of these guys telling me the truth? <br />Are the 80/90/100 really the same? If so, I could try to persuade the boating committee to let it slide. Any suggestions ? Obviously I've screwed up here. I'd appreciate some advice. Many thanks.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha 4-Stroke 80/90/100 HP

hello<br /> dude I would keep what ya have. paint over all the engine decals and make them prove otherwise.<br /> thje enigines are phyisically the same diminsions. so use paint and roll. both dealers gave ya a line of BS according to what you wrote. props dont make horsepower they make thrust. gas and air ignited in a cylinder make power.<br /> good luck and say nothing. make them prove otherwise