What defines a "new" engine?

johnk86

Seaman Apprentice
I ordered a "new" 2001 200hp HPDI Yamaha engine from a Yamaha dealer (out of state) and they had it shipped a local Yamaha service dealer for rigging on my boat (I paid for the shipping of course). When the local service dealer was rigging it, they called me to say that it looked like the engine had been run before and had a lot of old, stale gas in it and that the fuel pump was siezed up and would have to be replaced. They told me that they do test run them at the factory but they've never seen one come in like this. I called the place I ordered the motor from and they said that they would look into it with the service guy and "make it right". They say it might have been started as a demo but never put in the water and Yamaha would still be allowed to call it "new". My question is if they come back and say they will replace the fuel pump free of charge, should I settle for that? My instincts say no. Seems to me the engine is already suffering from neglect and neglect shouldn't be an issue with a "new" motor. What about the rest of the gas that has been sitting in that engine for years? Is old oil sitting in there too? What do you think my course of action should be? I'm waiting to hear back from the original seller for their proposed solution. thanks.

D

DJ

Re: What defines a "new" engine?

HokiePoq,<br /><br />I cannot speak for Yamaha. However, I once purchased a "new" two year old Suzuki DT-140.<br /><br />I know that Suzuki runs their engines before leaving the assembly plant. I too had trouble with the effects of stale gas, in the early running days. The dealer may have run it too. Who knows?<br /><br />What constitutes "new" is: Never reported sold.<br /><br />I doubt, very seriously, that you can find a "new" two or three year engine that has never been touched.<br /><br />Your situation would not bother me as long as it is made to run right and your warranty is fully intact.

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I haven't purchased many engines along the way but it seems that a motor demo out of the water makes little sense and proves little. Therefore it would raise my suspicions that you can be missing some information that follows the motor. On the other hand, when motors are sold it could only be assumed that they will be rigged within the current model year or two at the latest; not a big deal for a little gas in a motor built in the winter and sold in the spring or summer of that year. Knowing the motors are tested before delivery, it is realistic this is a motor that got pushed aside until someone realized "Hey we have some old inventory that we need to move out " and were probably very motivated to get rid of it at an attractive selling price. Other than not sell the motor in a timely manor, it is possible there is really nothing they may have done wrong. Leave a car sit for 3-4 years and you will also have some problems.

johnk86

Seaman Apprentice

The plot thickens. The local dealer that is doing the rigging for my engine (call them Dealer A) has spoken to the dealer that I bought the engine from (call them Dealer B) and Dealer A was told that the engine had "0 hours" on it. Suspicious, Dealer A looked the engine up to the on board computer and found out that the engine had 10 hours on it and had been run up to 5000-6000 rpms. He also noticed a "waterline" on the lower unit showing where the motor was in the water. Dealer B told Dealer A to put in the fuel pump for warrenty replacement but Dealer A said they didn't want to do that because he was quite sure Yamaha wouldn't replace it because of all the stale gas. I called Dealer B and said told them my concerns. Just got a call from the Dealer B owner and he said that they are digging up the paperwork, that Yamaha said it was a new motor, and they're not trying to jerk me around. He said that he will make me happy one way or another. Any thoughts?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like the original dealer is trying to help you. I would sit tight until they reach a decision and provide you with more info. Of course, I would not let dealer "A" install the motor on your rig until a conclussion is reached. Was dealer "B" informed of the hour, RPM's and waterline information? Sounds like a demo motor to me. They do not run them 10 Hrs at the factory...

johnk86

Seaman Apprentice

Alright, have to let you guys know how this turned out. First of all, thanks RB for suggesting I "sit tight". I worked with the original dealer, Yamaha customer service, the original dealer worked with Yamaha customer service, talked with the local dealer and between the original dealer and Yamaha they offered to provide the new fuel pump, cover the labor, provide a 5 year warrenty, knock $500 off the price of the engine and do whatever else it took to get the motor in good working order (said it probably doesn't need anything). I had the local dealer check out the motor to see if the compression was alright and see if they could see any scoring (to see if a possible improper break-in could have done any damage) and they gave the engine a clean bill of health. So I took the offer and should get the boat back next week. Props to the original dealer, local dealer, and Yamaha for working with me to ensure I was satisfied. I didn't get the "new engine" I wanted, but the next best thing. Glad I went with Yamaha.