which 4 stroke is best

tim10034

Seaman
thinking about getting a new boat ....ranger...are all four strokes the same???does a 225hp four stroke burn the same amount of fuel on all brands???

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: which 4 stroke is best

are all four strokes the same???<br />---------<br />Hi,<br />Some are very similar:<br />Yamaha F225 4-stroke and Mercury SaltWater 225 EFI are basically the same outboards.<br /><br />Suzuki DF220, DF225 and Johnson 220, 225 4-stroke are the same outboards.<br />Suzuki have also a DF250 4-stroke.<br /><br />Honda BF220 and BF225, they are their own made outboards, no other outboard manufacturer use them under another name.<br /><br />does a 225hp four stroke burn the same amount of fuel on all brands???<br />---------<br />Probably rather similar. The cost to buy them and get a good price is probably more important, and also very important that You can get it serviced where You live. Warranty may be diffrent and some has special offerings until March 31 this Year I have seen (Yamaha and Suzuki).<br /><br />All above 4-strokes should be fine, they use all latest technology for fuel injection (EFI) and is CARB 3-star rated.<br />With most outboards You get prop, instruments and controlbox (but I'm not sure You get it with Honda BF220 and BF225 as standard and that will add a little to the cost to buy a Honda).<br /><br />Your subject, "which 4-stroke is best"<br />-------<br />I do not know, all should be fine really. I have read tests of at least Yamaha F225 and Honda BF225 and they are both very good. Since Mercury SaltWater 225 EFI is basically a Yamaha F225 that should be a good outboard also.<br />Suzuki DF220, 225, 250 I have not read any test on but Suzuki makes quality outboards so I would not be worried to buy any of them.<br /><br />I had a Suzuki outboard (2-stroke) before but use a Yamaha F115 (4-stroke) now.<br /><br />Good luck!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: which 4 stroke is best

Moving to General Outboard