Suzuki DT6 Clutch rod

Merc805

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1986 Suzuki DT-6 2 Cyl and I want to change the water pump impeller.<br />The first step is to remove the shift rod connector which consists of a front<br />section, back section (threaded) and a bolt (All S/Steel). Of course, when I went <br />to lossen the connector.. Snap the bolt was frozen inside and I ended up with 2 pieces.<br />Got the pieces out, and can either drill out the remainder of the bolt and tap a new <br />thread or use a S/S nut and bolt. A new part will take 10 days to order and is quite expensive. My question is.. As the lever only has 3 positions F R and N, when I put the<br />bracket back on, is there anything to look out for ? The manual says it has to be in forward<br />gear for removal and replacement, but I see no reason why it should be. If I manually move<br />the rod into neutral and move the lever into neutral.. I would think it would be the same.<br />Any Suzuki owners come across this ?<br /><br />
watermark.php

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Suzuki DT6 Clutch rod

You can replace it in any gear, as long as the lever is in the same gear.It may need some adjustment when re-connected. S/S nut and bolt will work fine, but you may want to weld the blind side with S/S weld rod, to stop the whole lot rotating upon future removal.

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer

Good luck holding the nut. Why not just order the parts and fix it right? They're about $20 and available.

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

I think the original part is a bad design.<br />And 10 days off the water.<br /><br />That's why I agreed putting a bolt through it and welding the head.Lay motor on it's side.. Lower the back section (with thread pointing up)into the hole under the rods, and then drop the top section over it.. tighten nut. It is better than the replacement part for next time.<br />The original has a very fine thread that the Japanese seem to prefer. You can replace with a courser thread (Custom made) bolt ;)