Need Advice...

Getting ready to purchase a rebuilt 200-225 Yamaha 25" from one of several rebuilders in Florida and have it shipped to Tennessee. What work should I expect to have been done in order to have a decent chance that the motor is dependable? Thanks in advance!

Re: Need Advice...

JB: Thanks for your quick response! I guess my question is more toward what parts, inspections, tests, etc. should I expect to be done on a rebuilt motor? Are there standards for rebuilds? Each rebuilder I spoke with had a slightly different list of upgrades and refurbishment procedures they did...are there critical ones I need to expect/demand? Thanks!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Bruce.<br /><br />If I replace everything but the block, crankshaft, flywheel and external accessories, I call the engine rebuilt. That includes overhauled ignition, fuel pump, oil pump(if any) and carburetors, but not necessarily new.<br /><br />Bored block; new pistons, rings, main bearings (not necessarily new rods or rod bearings), and all powerhead seals.<br /><br />If I have merely honed the block and replaced rings and seals I call it overhauled.<br /><br />Hope that helps. :)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> are you buying the entire motor as rebuilt or just the power head? I have had some terrible experiences with some rebuilders as well as some satisfying ones from others.some rebuilders use substandaed parts and some use OEM quality. sierra head gaskets in my area wont last but about 2 years before they disentergrate. <br /> look closely at the warrenty and what has to be done to get it honored. does the motor have to go back? do you have the proper rigging or is that extra. <br /> tell me more about what your doing and I can give better advice<br />good luck and keep posting