Yamaha 9.9 water pump

johndoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have the Seloc book for my 1990 9.9 and have replaced many a water pump in other OB's, (mostly 1966 and 1970's) but the manual covers complete tear down and assembly of everything. There are a few, "special tools" needed to pull bearings and guides and flanges and the like... I just want to replace the Impeller... Any one with experience on this motor?? Do I really need any of these special tools? does the prop really need to come off just to get the lower unit off. I don't want to damage or buy a new rubber bushing... ??? Any thing I should know before diving into this? Where can I get the right parts the first time? <br />Thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha 9.9 water pump

hello<br /> take the prop off to check for fishing line behind the thrust washer after every trip. grease the splines at least twice a year.<br />its a straitup job, disconnect the shift link and remove the bolts and off it comes. then just remove the water pump bolts. assy is reverse. grease all the bolts. if this is done every other year then you will never need a pump(as long as you dont start the engine dry) and the bolts will always come loose.<br /> good luck and keep posting

eslovett

Recruit
Re: Yamaha 9.9 water pump

I now have a '99 Yamaha outboard and need to change out the waterpump. How straight fwd is the repair?