Yamaha 250 blows AGAIN after 1 hour

haderaz

Cadet
This is a follow-up to a post I did on 1/15/04 regarding a new 250 HPDI that blew after only 30 hours. I thought I'd be doing an update commending Yamaha on their quick response and willingness to take care of me. Instead I'm telling you and anyone who is considering buying one of these anchors that THE SECOND POWERHEAD BLEW AFTER ONE HOUR!!! I've spoken directly to Yamaha and other dealers who admit these models are having problems- and worst of all THEY CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT'S WRONG!!! This model is only on its second year run and the gremlins are raising their heads.<br />If I sound a little ticked off, ask yourself how you would react. You spend $15,000 not just for a new motor but for peice of mind that you have something reliable taking you and your family 20 miles offshore. So I ask another question. Would you go 20 miles offshore with a NEW 250 HPDI YAMAHA behing you?<br />I'm ending here, but I will be giving updates. <br /><br />(Personal troll deleted)

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha 250 blows AGAIN after 1 hour

So I assume they are going to replace it?? Maybe Forktail can explain why these motors are junk....

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I understand your frustration, Haderaz.<br /><br />Stuff happens. Yamaha has a reputation for fixing things and satisfying customers. I expect that will happen here in the end.<br /><br />Keep us advised.

haderaz

Cadet

Originally posted by seahorse:<br />Was it #2 cylinder that blew?
The first time it was #4 on the left side and #2 wasn't far behind. On the second powerhead it was #6- same side. Still no answers from Yamaha on why.

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This was on our Yamaha Dealer website this morning: Avoid This Expensive Mistake <br /><br />Some dealer service departments have followed Technical Bulletin O2003-016 procedures to install a new oil pump – only to leave out a critical step: bleeding and adjusting the oil pump according to service manual instructions.<br /><br />It is easy to predict the results: <br /><br />Catastrophic engine seizure caused by lack of lubrication (in as little as one hour of running time after the new oil pump was installed). <br />Very expensive repairs. <br />Extremely unhappy customers.<br />And none of it had to happen!<br /><br />On conventional outboards, using a tank of premix helps ensure adequate lubrication if air bubbles are left in the line. Because premix cannot be used on HPDI motors, however, technicians can’t afford to take shortcuts with the oil delivery system, either when following this bulletin or when doing a predelivery service on a new outboard. <br /><br />As Yamaha described in the follow-up Tech Exchange O2003-018, cylinders #2 and/or #4 are most likely to fail due to this servicing error because these cylinders have the longest oil lines. To be sure that all lines are completely filled with oil, remove the oil line from the #2 cylinder and let the engine run until that line is full. Also check the clear section of each cylinder’s oil line to be sure there are no air bubbles.<br /><br />Piston seizure due to improper oil pump bleeding and adjustment is not a defect and is not covered by warranty. <br /><br />Please remember to bleed the oil lines completely and adjust the oil pump properly before delivering an outboard to your customer. :cool:

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> ZZZZZ<br /> I have been bleeding all HPDI engines that way since we started selling them in 2001. I usually use the lap top to add some oil to the vst sothe injectors and pump as well as the pistons get some lube while I am blleeding the lines. I will them open the oil control to full open and start the engine and blled the system. there are quite a few techs that are not aware of which oil line is which cylinder. but I usually look at #2#4 and #1 to insure all bubbles are gone and the system is working. I have my fingers crossed but other than some head gasket problems on the 200 and a lot of plug fouling at the 1200 to 1800 rpm range that yamaha cant seem to fix I havent lost one to oil yet.<br /> I know its coming and some other dealers have had some issues as well.<br /> good luck and keep posting

D

DJ

Geez, and everyone blames VRO for everything!<br /><br />Listen to RB's advice.

BRIAN03

Petty Officer 1st Class

I go one step futher on the HPDI's. I pull the oil pump and drive the pump till all the oil tubes are full of oil. Add oil to the fuel chamber and put the oil pump to full output when I first fire them up. I love HPDI's but they still make me neverous on initial start up.

haderaz

Cadet

I just wanted to say thanks to all who have responded to my initial post. You've given me a lot of helpful info and my faith in Yamaha still remains. Whether they will come through for me remains to be seen. As it stands now, Yamaha is still gathering info from my dealer and the motor itself. Downloads from both powerheads don't appear to point to any obvious problems. The first motor showed failures in the fuel injectors which possibly could have come after the motor first blew. As for the second powerhead, my dealer tells me that all readings were within specs. <br />I have Yamaha's attention but I still haven't received a definitve answer of what they're going to do to get me back in the water. Just to let you know, I've been getting the most action from the service center in CA 1-800-962-7926. Thanks again and keep posting.

Hot Metal

Cadet

Haderaz, <br />i have had a similar experience with 150 hpdi's. the tech is suppose to meet me next to crank the second rebuild. if i find anything out i will let you know. please do the same. have you considered a trade for 4 strokes? would they be more reliable?

HYDRASPORT84

Seaman Apprentice

haderaz,<br />Im sorry to hear about all the problems you are having with your yamaha.<br /><br />Did you have a water psi gauge on your johnson, I hooked one up the other day to it but I did not get any pressure. I was running the motor on the hose at idle in the yard though?<br /><br />If you want to buy your old Johnson back let me know.

haderaz

Cadet

Best Day Ever,<br /> :D For you and others who have kept up with my dilemma, I have some good news. My THIRD powerhead has been installed by a regional Yamaha tech. Due to bad weather I haven't been able to run it much. As for the first two, the tech "SUGGESTED" that a low grade oil may have been the cause. Without naming names it was an oil under the brand name of a large consumer boat store and it was an approved TC-W3 oil. He has recommended that I use only Yamalube and at this point I'd dump gold in it if it will keep it from blowing up in the first 30 hours I run it. So until I put at least 100 hours on this one I'll keep a close ear on every little sound it makes and close to shore as well. Thanks and keep posting.<br />HYDRASPORT,<br />Yes, I did have a water psi gauge on the Johnson 250. As far as I can remember, it held around 8psi at idle and up to 30psi at cruising. Make sure the nipple isn't clogged and it's in or it won't register anything. Good luck and keep posting.