yamaha lower unit removal

laccanookie

Recruit
Hi, I have a 84 yamaha outboard i recently broke the cavatation plate. I called the shop to have it welded and he only wants the lower unit. Im wondering is it that tough to take off and put back are there any alignment problems with gears when replaceing? If someone could just give me a basic rundown of how to do this and some of the problems i may encounter im sure i can do it thx cali jim

Capt. Stabbin

Seaman Apprentice
Re: yamaha lower unit removal

I had a crack sucsessfully welded on the foot of my 1988 115 Yamaha. My cavitation plate was cracked on one side also, had it welded, but it snapped again. It doesn't seem to be getting any worse, as the hydro-foil absorbs the stress. You say that yours is broken. If it's not too bad, I would try the hydro-foil, it is a very durable, inexpensive bandaid! If it is beyond that I would suggest taking it to a prop shop rather than a regular welder. All the welding on mine was done without disassembling the motor. 1980's Yammies run like scalded dogs, but are notorious for corrosion problems. Good luck.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: yamaha lower unit removal

Its a simple process, the same as you would have to do to replace the water pump impleller. Remove the bolts holding the lower unit. Make sure you get them all, some engines have one hidden in or under the trim anode (the little fin that sticks down underneath the cavitation plate). Disconnect the shift rod. A manual would explain all the bolt locations and the shift rod connection. Every motor is similar but different. While you have it off, replace the water pump impeller.