tilt tube with a nut welded

bonitoman

Petty Officer 1st Class
It looks like this tilt tube has a nut weled on it. I took the nut off on the starbors side and tried banging the tube in the opposite direction figuring it would push the tube and welded nut out the other side. It would not budge. Any suggestions. Thanks

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: tilt tube with a nut welded

Those tubes can be a bear to get out. Although I have never seen one with a welded nut on one side. See if it will turn with the welded nut. If so, you are on your way. Best solution I can give is to shoot some lube around the tube and let it sit for 2 or 3 days and try it again. Just don't mushroom it out when you beat on it. If that doesn't work, try heating the tilt tube gently but firmly. working back and forth and then let it cool and try again. Maybe others have better suggestions.

bonitoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

That welded nut is embedded on the port side and you can not grab it with anything.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br />that is how its made.<br /> almost all yammi's use that style. its a beast to get out sometime especially if your timid with the heat.<br /> good luck and keep posting. BTW yammi calls it a bolt :) <br />if ya need any more advice let me know what your dealing with

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Are you supporting the motor while trying to get the tube out?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Hey Mr bonitoman, did you get the tube out?

bonitoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I heated it last night and did get the tube out. Thanks I think that welded nut is a bad design. Yamaha makes great engines but the metal that they use on blocks is cheap. I will take OMC metal anyday.