1986 Suzuki 200 HP Questions???

FishnFast

Recruit
I am currently looking at purchasing a used boat that has a 1986 Suzuki 200 HP motor. According to the owner, it has very little use on it for an '86. He says that he starts it every year and winterizes it, including draining the fuel. The motor looks to be in good shape with the only known problem to be a lower unit oil seal that needs replaced. Does anyone know if there have been any problems with this motor that I should know about.(I've only had mercs and evens) How does this motor run? It's on a 20 fish/ski. Is it reliable? Thanks for the info.

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1986 Suzuki 200 HP Questions???

If there was any engine on the face of this earth in 200 HP that I would definitly trust its the 2.7 liter Suzuki. Its been made in a lot of different versions, both carburated and fuel injected (same engine mechanically as the recently discontinued 225 EFI), some with single and some with dual plug heads, but all the same basic engine.<br /><br />I just pulled a '89 off of the back of my boat that had over 2,000 hours on the meter. In the entire time I had it (bought it new) I did not spend $500 on it for repairs, and that includes water pumps. I'll be selling it this spring and I am sure that someone (hopefull a young guy without to much money) is going to get at least a few more years of reliable service out of it.<br /><br />Thom

FishnFast

Recruit

Thanks Thom for the vote of confidence and insight on your experience. This will make my decision MUCH easier. When fixing the lower unit oil seal, should I put a new water pump in while I'm in there? P.S. - By the way, I am a young buyer with not so much money. Actually (Dad'n I) have had the mercs and evens. This will be my first boat. Thanks again!!!

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It might actually be less expensive for you to pick up a used lower unit on E-Bay or somewhere than to change that seal. The problem won't be the seal itself, that will be cheap. the problem will be with corrosion, and in particular the corrosion of the inner caseing where that hugh nut screws in that holds the seal in place. I believe that has to be removed on the large gearcase Susukis (I'm not a mechanic) and corrosion may make it impossible to remove it.<br /><br />Corrosion is the death of these Suzukis so that's what I'd be concerned about more than anything else. If its been a freshwater engine then I wouldn't blink an eye if the compression numbers were all within 10 pounds of each other.<br /><br />Thom

ntvo2003

Recruit
2000 suzuki 200hp

2000 suzuki 200hp

i just purchase a used suzuki EFI 200 HP;
the owner sweat it start and everything; but when i got it home hook up battery; there is no fire on sparkplug.
Do anyone have any suggestion?
thanks in advandge