General info wanted on my Yamaha outboard

haytch

Recruit
I have a Yamaha outboard, engine number 677/s/030265 - 8 horse power with 1:100 on the casing. <br /><br />Being new to outboards I hope some kind person outhere can help.<br /><br />What is approx age of the engine, I presume its 2 stroke and if so is the 1:100 the petrol to oil mix ratio. Also does this engine run an altenator or dynamo for battery charging.<br /><br />Thanks

haytch

Recruit
Re: General info wanted on my Yamaha outboard

Thanks Traficlawyer, Happy New Year

wtrojan

Seaman
Re: General info wanted on my Yamaha outboard

About the year, your engine would be 8B/E8D model, that was started in 1977. I don’t think you could get more details on the net, the problem is the number you have is a non-US model code and these are not covered very well on the Internet.<br />Have a look at recent geraint’s post on the General OB Discussion, with similar questions. In one of these posts will also find some detailed suggestions from Bo about yamaha year codification, posted on January 10. I can’t tell if they are OK.<br />Well, you may also try your yamaha dealer to get the precise answer.<br /><br />Edit: I think Bo got that right. I have just checked, there is a letter over there. In my case it is hardly visible comparing to model number digits. Use Bo’s explanation than.