yamaha vmax 150 wont start

pbond6

Recruit
I havent started my fuel injected 150 vmax for 6 months. Now it wont. Primer bulb is working, but it seems the engine isnt getting fuel. I did not prep the engine in any way for the months it sat idle. I dont hear any noise when I push in key to prime. Should I try to manually prime? If so, how?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: yamaha vmax 150 wont start

hello<br /> first make sure the stop lanyard is in place.<br />then check for fuel in the vapor seperator. the VST is after the low pressure fuel pumps. there is a small brass slotted head plug. remove it and check for fuel. if it has fuel but you dont hear the pump motor whine when the key switch is turned to on then there is a good chance the pump is stuck or jammed with debris. I hope not cause its expensive. if your not sure of your skills now is the time to stop and find a trusted dealer.<br /> good luck and keep posting

pbond6

Recruit

Thanks Rod. I took it to the dealer. He said gas had gone bad and that he would have to clean the fuel pump. $150 for that and $750 for a new pump if that doesnt work. I didnt expect to have any problems with the fuel in a 6 month period. Shows what I know. Do those prices sound about right? If I do need a new fuel pump is it difficult to install? Thanks so much for your help........... Pat.

BRIAN03

Petty Officer 1st Class

746.19 list high pressure fuel pump plus frieght and oring kit is 28.00. 2.5 hours flat rate. 1000.00$. You need to add fuel stablizer if the engine is going to sit more than a month. (Any time of the year). 1 oz.of fuel stablizer per gal of gas in the fuel tank. Make sure you run the engine so the stablizer get in fuel chamber where the high pressure fuel pump is and fuel injectors.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> replacing the pump in the vst tank is a simple job. I can usually do it in less than an hour to an hour and a half. also depends on who is paying :) :) .you will need acess to the oring on the tank. if the old one does not deform it can be reused. I use vasoline to hold the new packing in place. you may want to look around for the pump. 780 sounds kinda high but then I dont look at costs I just fix motors. cost is no object :) . good luck and keep posting if you need more info on the pump post again.