92' Mariner oil injection

98durango

Cadet
Just picked up a 1992 115hp Mariner outboard, The dealer said the oil injection was a good system and to leave it installed, other guy's say take it off and run pre-mix. What do you guy's with all the experience think?<br /><br />Thanks; Jamie

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: 92' Mariner oil injection

It's a common question here. Let's see: you have a motor that's 13 years old. It has always run using the oil injection. I can't think of any reason to change that, unless the injection system is defective and you can't get parts.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Most oil injection systems are very reliable, Jamie. The one exception is the very early OMC VOR. That is what got so many people on a "Take it out" kick.<br /><br />Yours has proven reliable so far. No reason to disable it.

98durango

Cadet

Thanks guy's It's stayin on, I appreciate the replys

Moody Blue

Captain

Because its a new-to-you motor this is what I would do.<br /><br />For the first tank of gas run premixed at 50:1 and fill the oil tank with the appropriate oil and mark the level. Watch that the oil level drops in the oil tank as the tank of fuel is consumed. This way you can be confident that injection system is working and not worry about cooking your new motor. The motor will smoke more than normal and the plugs may foul if you idle alot but one tank of fuel at double the oil ratio will not hurt.