thinking about not winterizing?

tjfreemanjr

Cadet
I live in Georgia and it normally only freezes once or twice here. Occasionally it gets pretty cold, but this ain't Canada or anything.<br /><br />I was wondering about not winterizing, or what should be the minimum I should do to my boat. It is brand new, and this is the first winter I have owned it. I plan on fishing some over the winter, but probably not Dec-Jan. I hope to go a time or two this month and then start back up mid Feb.<br /><br />Any thoughts? I am not trying to be cheap or intentionally hurt my motor, just trying to figure out what is best for me. I don't want to winterize it and then not be able to go fishing or scouting... just looking for some feedback.

Knightgang

Lieutenant
Re: thinking about not winterizing?

Where in Georiga are you. I am in the Savannah Area. Like you said, it only freezes once or twice a year. This is my first winter with a boat too. I have nto really thought abotu winterizing, partly because I have never heard any of my other baoting friends talk about it and I plan on using my boat all year, ect maybe Jan & Feb when I want to do some interior work. <br /><br />I know that Boaters world has soem winterizing flush mix that you can use. It is like antifreeze for the outboards, just run it through after you have returned from the water, and it will be alright until you go again. And you don't even have to do anything special before the next trip. Just launch and go.<br /><br />Hope this helps.<br /><br />Knightgang

tjfreemanjr

Cadet

I actually live a bit north, out I-20 west past 6-Flags. I have heard about that stuff too and was wondering if I could use it alone and that keep the engine parts safe from freezing. I know I probably still need to change the lube and grease, but I was wondering about the rest too.<br /><br />Thanks for the input!

Sand Bass

Seaman

Freeman, I never winterize (live in Texas). I personally think it is better if you use the boat instead of storing it. Just make sure you use the boat enough to keep the carbs clean and gas fresh. Dont forget to do your yearly maintenance -change lower unit oil, fuel filter, water pump, decarb, etc.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> I guess winterizing an outboard is not quite accurate. what you are trying to do is set the motor up for storage. the object is while stoired no rust appears on any of the steel machined parts inside, the fuel system does not degrade and the mechanical sliding parts still slide the next time you use it. I reccomend doing the water punp tstsats and pressure control dia phrams once a year and the lower oil at least twice.do all the maint regardless of hours sometimes and the motor,you and everyone else will stay happy.<br />good luck and keep posting