87 Yamaha 115 v4 -any tips to removing "cover nut"

Craig W

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a small leak in the propeller shaft oil seal and have to remove the cover nut to replace the seal. I'm gathering the cover nut may have been taken off only once, maybe twice since 87 and is frozen in place pretty good. It does not not seem to be visibly corroded in place, the engine is very clean for its age. I tried heating the outside of the housing lightly to no avail... I was going to try increased heating and was also wondering if penetraiting oil may help as well..<br /><br />I have the appropriate tool to remove the nut, and was just wondering if anyone has any wisdom or techniques from their experiences they could share.<br /><br />TIA<br />-Craig

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 87 Yamaha 115 v4 -any tips to removing "cover nut"

Hello<br /> I usually take a 1/4 inch drill and drill holes in the nut then use a small sharp chisel cut the nut. remove the nut in 3 pieces<br /> I never try to remove them if they are more than 2 or 3 years old. it is more trouble than it is worth so I just cut them in about 5 min and go on with the job. good luck and keep posting

Craig W

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for the reply rodbolt. I'll take another look at it tonite with the wrench. If necessary I'll bust out the drill and follow your suggestion ;)

Craig W

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, after letting some penetrating oil sit on the threads, a good heating with a propane torch (using MAPP gas) and an extra 2' extension on my breaker bar, the cover nut broke loose after a few minutes of pressure and then came out quite nicely. Not that the nut is an expensive part, but I figured if I didn't *have to* replace it, I could put the money toward something else for my boat. (the bearing carrier took a while to persuade out as well, but it eventually "popped" loose after persistant heat)<br /><br />thanks again for the suggestion rodbolt. I (amazingly) didn't have to resort to those measures to remove the nut, but maybe someone else down the road might ;)