carb rebuilding

rivercat49

Seaman Apprentice
could someone give me an idea of the cost of having carbs rebuilt on a 90hp suzuki 2 stroke. How difficult a job for someone of very moderate mechanical ability

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: carb rebuilding

Don't know how much the mechanics charge but it isn't difficult. The carbs themselves are very simple and a rebuild kit costs ~$15-20 a carb I think. You need a manual to help with the removal of the ancilliary equipment (oil tank, throttle linkages, etc.) to get the carbs off. You can do it in about 4 hours if you have the parts and a manual and you don't get hung up on a frozen bolt or something. If you do attempt it, dismantle the carbs completely, remove the jets, and the float valves, clean the jets and all orifices thoroughly with commercial carb cleaner and compressed air, and install the rebuild kit parts (float valve, o-rings, gaskets).

Captcweed

Cadet

Don't know what prices are like in VA but FL checked today and Kit is $30 Yahama shops get $75 hr. takes from 3 to 4 hrs. Shop Manuals are $40, carb cleaner soak for the carbs runs $40 a gal so your about $111 to do it yourself. If you need to buy a compressor to blow out the jets and cavities could run $100. Maybe rent one for $40 and then there is the shear fun of re-adjusting your linkage and be sure not to break any parts.<br /><br />But you could learn alot about your carbs. Oh yea! I didn't check to see if you need any special tools like asian tweezers or such. <br /><br />I bought the kit and cleaner plus some CRC carb & choke spray the dealer said was worth while. But here I am looking through the forum to see what the failure rate has been on this. Probably will not but hope this helps.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Buy a can of compressed air at radio shack (used for dusting computers etc.) for a couple of bucks. Buy a spray can of carb cleaner (to be used on dismantled carbs NOT sprayed in engine while running). Buy the carb kits. You're there.