Yamaha 40 Tilt/Trim Problem

hondajohn

Cadet
I have a 1995 40 Yamaha that will not trim up while the motor is in gear and running over about 1200 rpms. Other than that it works fine. Is there a lockout or a switch somewhere that may be bad.<br />Also, I removed the oil fill for the tilt unit thinking that it might be low on oil and I can't see how to add oil to it. Is there a special fitting that you have to use?<br />Thanks

KNOTTY THOTS

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Yamaha 40 Tilt/Trim Problem

I had the same problem my motor. I found that inside the trim switch, the small aluminum rocker had flattened out. Try bending it up slightly. but not too much. If it is bent too much,the switch can't meet the contact point. Good Luck!

hondajohn

Cadet

Thanks for the tip Knotty. I'll try that. How come it doesn't affect it when it is not in gear?<br /><br />John

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

could be a bad seal in the trim cylinder. prop want to push the motor down and the cylinder wants it to go up. somethings has got to give and the motor wins. does it leak down when the motor is not running and trimmed up ?

hondajohn

Cadet

Fred:<br /> Have not noticed it leaking down when in the up position. I forgot to mention that the tilt motor runs, but the motor doesn't go up.<br /><br /> Never did a response from anyone on how to add fluid to the hydraulic unit. Looks like some kind of special tool is required.<br /> Do you have any ideas??<br /><br />John

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

wish i could help you out on adding fluid to the tilt/trim but i never did it and got rid of my manual when i got rid of the motor. sit tight someone will help. regards fred