90 hp yamaha maxed out @ 2000 rpm

lcjim

Recruit
My 02 model 90 hp yamaha speed will not exceed 2000 rpm when in gear and underway. It has less than 50 hours running time. The motor starts and idles fine. I have checked the fuel tank, throttle linkage, compression, oil level switch and the high temperature switch.<br />It is firing on all three cyls. The motor is under warranty, but the dealer wants to charge $79 per hour to troubleshoot problem.<br /><br />Any ideas?

lonewolf5347

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 90 hp yamaha maxed out @ 2000 rpm

lcjim How can he charge you labor per hour if the engine is still under warranty?Iwould look for another yamaha dealer or call yamaha and ask them or is the dealer making out both way getting paid from yamaha for the repair and labor and a little extra from you also.<br />You buy a new car the dealer makes the warranty repair no out of pocket for labor.<br />I have a 90 hp 2003 yamaha has about 25 hours on it did purchase a warranty from yamaha (yes)total 5 years I can't see in paying a labor charge on warranty repair service I can see paying a labor charge for service tune up replacing a water pump routine maintance but not a warranty issue. :mad: :mad:

1stoutboard

Seaman Apprentice

Lonewolf is right Jim, that motor is probably warranted for 2 yrs. So, technically your motor is still under warranty, make sure you have the warranty transfered from the previous owner. You might not have to do that, since the engine comes with a 2 yr warranty from Yamaha.

lcjim

Recruit

Found my problem. The No. 3 carb float needle valve was gummed up. Found it by removing and grounding No. 1 and 2 plug wires, and trying to run motor on No. 3 alone. Motor would start and run only when spraying fuel mix into No. 3 carb throat.<br /><br />Your response to many problems on your website, led me to try this troubleshooting method.<br /><br />Thanks a lot,<br /><br />Jim in League City