How good are Suzuki motors

mrtool2u

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am looking at getting a bit bigger motor for my boat,,currently have a Johnson 90,,,what are the Suzuki motors like.I know of a late 90's Suzuki 140,,are these decent motors,and are they rated at the prop,would this be a 3 or 4 cyl motor,and is it a inline motor.Any and all info appreciated.

D

DJ

Re: How good are Suzuki motors

mrtool,<br /><br />The Suzuki 140 cariies the disignation DT-140.<br /><br />It is an in line four cylinder of 108 cu. in. The engine remained basically unchanged from the early eaghties up through its discontinuance (US Market) in the last couple of years.<br /><br />I owned a 1995 DT-140. It was:<br /><br />1. Tough.<br /><br />2. Meticulously detailed.<br /><br />3. A little thirsty.<br /><br />Yes, it is rated at the prop.<br /><br />The only problems I ever had with it were due to the carbs. fouling. They (Mikuni's) seemed to be very sensative. However, the jets could be removed and cleaned without disassembly. The carbs also had nifty, easy to access, carb bowl drains which helped with the fouling problems, once I figured that out.<br /><br />If it is one of the really late nineties models (1997-up) it is EFI. No carb worries there.<br /><br />I thought it was a good engine. Dealer service was a lottle sparse though. If you have a decent dealer nearby for parts and/or service-no worries.

fridays

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All Suzuki's are now 4-stroke and seem to be indestructable. I am prejudiced as I have been selling Suzuki exclusively since 1982 but 65% of my customers are commercial and the motors take a beating. I have about 2 dozen of the four strokes out there that already have between 2000 to 3000 hrs. and all we've done is change oil and filters. The 2-strokes were tough but the new motors are unbelieveable.

pescarr

Recruit

I agreed with the dealer that posted before me I just bought a used with 120 hours it blew at 187 hr. 1999 df 50 from a dealer that is just out of warranty. I have owned 3 4 strokes without problems until now, I'm going back to 2 strokes.<br />Oh! Suzuki has been ZERO HELP so far. They can't even tell me why it happened. It hydro locked, no baody has heard of this happening.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Hello<br /> got to agree with friday on this one. but I have seen warrenty problems with yams,mercs and rudes, wont even talk about mercruiser and volvo.<br />if ya need help fridays marine is the suzuki place.<br /> good to see ya fridaysmarine Ill be calling about some dt-65 pistons.