Yamaha Digital Tach Question (Help)

flatscat22

Recruit
Just purchased a Brand New Boat with a Yamaha 90 HP 2-Stroke. The boat came with the Yamaha Digital Tachometer Multifunction Guage. There is an icon that flashes just above the x100 on the Gauge. The Icon is not listed or shown in the owners manual. The oil reservoir is full and I am following the break in procedure by adding 50:1 oil mixture in the gas. <br /><br />The icon that flashes looks like some type of reservoir with a droplet on the bottom. <br /><br />It is the weekend and I am dying to run the boat, but afraid of harming the engine.<br /><br />I do have a picture of the icon and gauge. <br /><br />If anyone know what this flashing icon means, please post or email ASAP. Thanks in advance!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha Digital Tach Question (Help)

hello<br /> the icon i belive is the visual portion of the overtemp alarm.<br /> get it checked out before going out.<br /> good luck and keep us posted

flatscat22

Recruit

Rodbolt! Thanks for the reply. The flashing icon appeared before the engine was ever started. I did put the boat in the water and started the engine for about 3 minutes. The icon appeared prior to cranking the engine and stayed on while the engine was running.<br /><br />The gauge is an 04 Gauge. Could this icon indicate the break in period?

1stoutboard

Seaman Apprentice

RMD.<br /> I just bought a new 04 Glastron with same engine you have, and yamaha instrumentation. I just checked my tachometer display , that icon did not show on mine. If I were you, I would be careful about running it. Maybe the injectors are spitting oil to the gas , or whatever the case might be. I am still in my break in period , I have 9 hours on mine, alomst done.When I initially picked up the boat the gas guage did not indicate that there is any gas in the tank. The dealer foud that there was a wire that was not connected. Anyway get it to the dealer asap. <br /> Good luck.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Hello<br /> I am sorry for not thinking of this sooner. if no alarms are present then check the settings of the DIP switches on the back of the tacometer. you will have to remove a rubber plug to acess the 3 tiny swithces.,I dont have the 90 hp specs for 2003 in front of me but the 2001 specs are as follows. sw1 is on sw2off sw3is off<br /> if sw3 is on the tach will think its a 4 stroke.<br />good luck and keep posting. PS the dip switches are tiny use an ice pick and a good flashlight]

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> again i went brain dead.<br /> it can also be the hour meter indicator. try pushing the mode switch on the tach and see if it changes. the hour meter is a new thing so I forgot about it.<br /> sorry<br /> send me a picture of the icon at rodbolt40@yahoo.com

flatscat22

Recruit

Finally found out what the blinking Icon means. While rigging the engine, the guys who rigged the engine turned the key to make sure all the gauges were in working order. They turned the key to make sure the starter engaged as well. However, they had not hooked up the gas line to the engine. The Icon indicates that a fuel connection is not made. Even after attaching the fuel line to the engine, the light will still blink. It has to be reset by a dealer.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> I will have to double check your last post. Yamaha does not make any gauges the monitor fuel other than the fuel managemnt meter. nothing on your multi function tach monitors fuel.but I will double check never know when an engineer will change something without consulting us poor techs.<br /> good luck and keep posting