Head Gasket Replacement 130 HP Yamaha

SJ Striper

Cadet
I will be attempting to change the head gasket on the #2-#4 cylinder head on my 1990 130 HP Yamaha. I have a torque wrench, gasket removal spray, and a manual that shows the bolt pattern and the torque settings. Any advice from the group before I take on this task? I will be attempting to "crack" the bolts tonight, and finish the entire job by Friday pm. Please let me know what to look out for. Thanks in advance. SJ.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Head Gasket Replacement 130 HP Yamaha

It should be straigt forward unless you break a bolt off. That can be dealt with. Go for it.

mrn714

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Only other suggestion is to spray the bolts down with liquid wrench, let stand for some time. Your torque wrench should have on and off lbs. shown. Be sure not to exceed 10 - 15% of on for off. If you do, you will turn off the bolt. If they do not move, tapping (and I mean TAPPING) with a small hammer (plastic preferred) may give the bolts a jolt to come out. If they do, clean and soak in Liquid wrench, then use a good thread sealer when installing for the next time. <br /><br />If you did not learn anything today, you should have stayed in bed.<br /><br /> :cool:

SJ Striper

Cadet

FOLLOW UP .... Head bolts came right out, spent 1.5 hours cleaning old gasket off, replaced gasket, torqued to 22 pounds. Ran motor for 20 mins, ran great, pulled plugs. #2 plug had rusted look, dumped a bit of 2 cycle oil in cylinder, replaced plug, ran motor for 1/2 hour, ran great, pulled plug, looks great. Rust could have been residual from within cylinder? Have run motor 3 hours since and is running great. Thanks for the help. SJ.