oil injection problem

jmrosenada

Recruit
My 2000 Yamaha 250 EFI is using about 1 gallon of oil for every 10-15 gallons of gas.How can I troubleshoot this? Also the RPMs fluctuate,when its running well, with the throttle wide open, it does 48 mph @ 5500 RPM. But without touching the throttle it drops to 4900 RPMS and does 35 mph. :confused: :(

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: oil injection problem

hello<br /> wow I realize this is a late post. first chck the white plastic oil pump link rod clip. a lot of them have broken latly. if the oil pump control link falls off the pump will move to full rich oil. solve the oiling problem and then clean or replace your O2 sensor a dirty sensor can actually lean a motor out and burn a piston.<br /> sorry I missed this one I hope your problem is already solved<br />good luck

jmrosenada

Recruit

Thanks for your reply,rodbolt,I checked the oil pump link rod and adjusted it as per the repair manual, and its OK. Can anythijng else cause the increase oil usage? its smoking alot. :confused:

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> yes there are 3 other posibilities for that much oil. maybe the oil transfer pump is nut turning off or the seal at the pump shaft failed.but with the consumption you are describing I would look at the vent hose from the engine oil tank to the airbox. if the airbox is full of oil it will smoke badly and use a lot of oil. check that the transfer pump is not overfilling the oil tank.<br /> good luck and keep posting.<br /> PS I saw someone had posted a link to a page from a magazine that had some excellent troubleshooting tips on oil transfer.<br />almost as good as the school :)