DT 85 - 1984 - SUZUKI

CHAMPION1

Recruit
Re: DT 85 - 1984 - SUZUKI

FIRST OFF YOU MUST REMOVE THE SHIFTER LINKAGE UNDER THE TRIPLE CARBS. THIS CONSISTS OF A NUT WITH A OUTER LOCK NUT. YOU MUST PUST THE LINKAGE ROD THRU TO DIDENGAGE THE LINKAGE PEG FROM THE HOLE. YOU WILL SEE WHAT I MEAN WHEN YOU GET STARTED. SECOND , ONCE THAT IS DISSENGAGED.{MAKE SURE YOUR IN NUETRAL FIRST} TILT THE ENGINE ALL THE WAY UP AND GET TO THE LOWER END BOLTS. MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE THE BOLT THAT IS HIDDEN UP THE HOLE IN THE BOTTOM OF THE LOWER END. THE UNIT WILL PRACTICALLY FALL OUT AFTER THAT. REMOVE THE WATER PUMP ASSEMBLY AND DISSASSEMBLE IT . MAKE SURE YOU REPLACE THE GASKET AND THE PLATE AS WELL. USE SOME VASOLINE WHEN REASSEMBLING THE IMPELLOR . IT WILL DISSOLVE WHEN YOU START RUNNING THE ENGINE AFTER WORD. REASEMBLY IS THE THE EXACT OPPOSITE. WHEN RECCONNECTING THE LINKAGE YOU WILL NEED THE HANDS OF A SURGEON TO PUT THE LINKAGE PEG BACK INTO THE SHIFTER ROD FOR THE LOWER END.BUT IT CAN BE DONE, i DID IT WITHOUT A MANUEL OR ANY DIRECTIONS. GOOD LUCK. :D

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hi,<br />Place the gear in neutral first. Disconnect the sparkplug leads to prevent any accidental starting. Drain the oil in gearcase. Then remove the nut from the clutch shaft and disconnect the clutch shaft from clutch rod - all this is done on the right side of the engine (seen from behind the engine) when you have the engine cover removed - down there, it is hard to see and tight to use tools there but possible. When that is done remove all bolts that holds the lower unit, make sure you remove ALL bolts, check any bolt under "black cover" and also the trim tab since bolts there may hold the lower unit also. Make a mark on the trim tab how it is mounted now before you remove it so you can place it back with same position later.<br />Now the lower unit should be possible to take away. <br />After you changed impeller (including gasket) you should make sure the watertube rubber rings (in each end) are fresh (if not buy new), be careful when installing the lower unit again so the watertube is mounted corrrectly and the rubber seal is sliding in correctly up in the engine so it is tight and do not leak later.<br />Make sure the drive shaft splines is lightly (not much) lubricated with water resistant grease before you install back the lower unit.<br />Since Your outboard is rather old be careful when removing any bolts, especially the bolts holding the waterpump house (corrosion/rust may have made them weak). Fill new gearcase oil again when ready.<br /><br />I had a Suzuki DT65 (1991) before and I once removed the lower unit following above steps. Worked fine. Should hopefully be about the same procedure for Your DT85.<br /><br />Good luck.<br />/Bo

mrn714

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Champion1 & Bo. <br /><br />Thanks for the info. But still no go. The lower unit is about 2 inches off, but will not come loose. Will take a very large rock to the MF'er next. But really, the shifter rod assy you spok of is no longer present under the carbs. Not even when snugging the lower end up to it. Will be working on all bolts that ran off when I started. If the unit was not in N at the time the Shaft cluch rod was pushed through, would that be a problem?

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hi again,<br />Did You remove the nut from the clutch shaft and disconnect the clutch shaft from clutch rod?<br />You must do that.<br />Maybe (I do not now) you can get the lower unit off even if you had not the gear in neutral, but You will probably not be able to get it reinstalled unless gear was/is in neutral.<br /><br />/Bo

mrn714

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got it off finally. Someone had installed a secondary pin to correct a previous repair at the bottom. Corrected that. Unfortunatly, the tranny rod (the one with the hole that held up the whole thing) poped out. I have gotten it back in, but the fitting that fits into the lower unit poped out and does not want to go back in. Not sure how to repair this at all. The rood appears to be solid, but I am not sure how that works to change foward / reverse. The fitting has a small "O" ring around a copper fitting that the rod goes through. A small pin appear to hold the copper fitting above it's place in the lower unit. The cap of the lower unit is loose, but will not come off. It appears to have a sleave going through the cap and the lower case. Any help would be appreciated. <br /><br />By the way, during this repair it was noted that the carb gaskets were installed upsidedown, partially blocking the intake to the heads. The book does not show this to be correct, so I must assume it was an improper install years ago.

mrn714

Petty Officer 2nd Class

By the way, thanks for the help on the other.