Yamaha 9.9's 701 Remote Control Problem

Howaya

Recruit
I have a 2000 model year Yamaha 9.9 long shaft Hi-thrust with a 701 remote control. The motor has seen very little use but its gear shift cable abitrarily makes the neutral or reverse position the actual neutral position; this means I never know where the lever needs to be to start and often means I have no reverse at all. In addition, the throttle cable has limited range when in forward. Lately, I've discovered they interact for starting as I cannot get the engine to fire at all, at times. I've opened the linkage box just outside the front of the engine's hood/cowling and can see both cables need realignment. How do I identify the right position for each cable, get the cables back into the right position, make them stay in the correct position, etc. I'd really appreciate a diagram if you know where I might find one. If it shows the correct way to reinstall the plastic retaining clip, even better!

ST

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Yamaha 9.9's 701 Remote Control Problem

Originally posted by Michael K.:<br /> I have a 2000 model year Yamaha 9.9 long shaft Hi-thrust with a 701 remote control. The motor has seen very little use but its gear shift cable abitrarily makes the neutral or reverse position the actual neutral position; this means I never know where the lever needs to be to start and often means I have no reverse at all. In addition, the throttle cable has limited range when in forward. Lately, I've discovered they interact for starting as I cannot get the engine to fire at all, at times. I've opened the linkage box just outside the front of the engine's hood/cowling and can see both cables need realignment. How do I identify the right position for each cable, get the cables back into the right position, make them stay in the correct position, etc. I'd really appreciate a diagram if you know where I might find one. If it shows the correct way to reinstall the plastic retaining clip, even better!
Hi Michael-hope you're still out there!<br /><br />I realized your posting didn't get any reply; I am having similar problem also; I posted 2 days ago without any reply either (heading: "Yamaha tiller with broken throttle"; I guess this is not<br />a very popular topic. I thought I'll give this a shot; hopefully you'd get this message; and hopefully by this time you had your problem solved; if so; would you please share of what your fix is? Were you able to repair it yourself or handed it over to the Yamaha dealer? Actually I'll like to contact you directly via email, but I can't find your address; mine is st2216@yahoo.com if you choose to reply directly to me. Hope to hearing from you,soon! Thanks!

ST

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi BenC;<br /><br />Thanks for the URL; in it they show those 3 plastic brackets-barely legible-, but I was able to picked up the position of the "middle" bracket from that parts drawing.<br /><br />You are right; those cable anchor have come adrift; since I had the middle bracket installed reversed on my 9.9; I finally able to put them back together; the throttle cable is functioning-for now-; as well as the shift mechanism.<br /><br />But soon I would most likely need to replace the throttle cable; caused I broke the "plastic barrel assembly" that resides in the above 3 brackets system. Hope that day won't come anytime soon; since I have not found a way to open up the steering tiller handle, where these 2 cables (throttle and shift) movement started. Do you BenC?

hollyj2

Recruit

I have just replaced the gear shift cable in my 1993 9.9 4 stroke yamaha.<br />On this model there are 4 bolts on the underside of the arm.<br />undo these and the throttle and gear change assembly drops away reveiling the 1st screw which holds the assembly together. Next undo the screw in the end of the throttle grip and pull the grop off. the 2nd screw is reveiled when the grip is removed. You can now open the assembly.

ST

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hollyj2,<br /><br />Thanks for taking the time to share your experience! Your explanation plus the picture you sent directly to me really give me the confidence to go ahead and order the trottle cable that I need to replace.<br /><br />Sam