1989 DT85 Cabrea problems

NevadaM

Recruit
27 July 2003<br /><br />Three issues:<br /><br />1. Water temp gage not working and appears to be not be connected, can somebody tell me where it connects to the engine? :confused: <br /><br />2. The Cabrea oil flow indicator has four lights and a 5th red light for "trouble", the third light down has gone out, oil still being used so that part still fine, just like having the indicator working. Any idea where to find another? :rolleyes: <br /><br />3. This engine has the problem of power loss and sometimes even stopping when power is applied under load. I've tracked it to fuel starvation and am looking at the fuel pump and maybe replacing the prime bulb on the fuel line. It helped a great deal having the carbs rebuilt (I cleaned them completely three times, rebuilding did it) which helped a lot, but it is again acting up. Pumping on the prime bulb gets it going again for a while, but it must have a bad diaphram or sucking air someplace. <br /><br />Just a thought, I installed a complete new speedometer because the original wasn't working, and the new one does not work either. Any special tricks to this??? :confused: <br /><br />Thanks for the help. This forum is a good source of information. Thanks to all who participated.<br /><br />Steve M

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1989 DT85 Cabrea problems

I don't know about your electrical problem, but........<br /><br />The foam liner on those older motors can become deteriorated causing bits of it to get everywhere. Will appear as a sandy sort of stuff around and on the motor. These bits will get in the bowl vents and plug the jets. If this is the case. Remove liner wash down motor and hood and clear the bowls/jets again.

NevadaM

Recruit
Re: 1989 DT85 Cabrea problems

Thanks for the fast reply, haven't noticed anything lying around on the motor, the foam seems to be in good shape. Earlier when I had the carbs apart, there was no sludge, only carmalization. <br /><br />Steve