Need advice replacing prop. Is it easy as it seems or is there a trick to it?

patrolcarr

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have apparantly "Spun my prop" and need to remove it in order to have it either replaced or repaired. I have never actually removed my own prop and it looks like its probably an easy job. But like every other thing on a boat, easy jobs turn out to be not so easy. I did attempt it once for winter storage and it seemed like that pin that holds the prop itself on seemed very difficult to remove. Do I need any special tool? Its a yamaha outboard. Thanks in advance.

Fouled Plug

Ensign
Re: Need advice replacing prop. Is it easy as it seems or is there a trick to it

Re: Need advice replacing prop. Is it easy as it seems or is there a trick to it

Not a hard job, though some cotter pins can be a bugger (especially if they've been re-used a couple times) You'll want a new pin, and some grease for the splines on the shaft. Needle-nose Vise Grips might be the best tool for the job of yanking the old cotter pin.

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

a pair of dykes :eek: can be used to grab it too, and leverage it out<br /><br />(sharkcat .... behave you! LOL)<br /><br /> :cool:

sharkcat

Petty Officer 1st Class

the only problem you could have is if the prop has corroded to the shaft penetrating oil could help or some heat might be needed.If you are in any doubt take it to a prop shop & let them get it off it will save you money in the long run..You should remove & replace your prop a couple of times a season just to relube your shaft & check for fishing line etc.How was that Ray a clean post with no references to a pair of dykes levering anything etc..I like to watch...LOL :D :D

Specks n Reds

Chief Petty Officer

patrolcarr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I,m 90% sure that from the responses that my problem is a spun propeller. Would anyone have any other ideas what might cause this type of problem? And, is hitting bottom(sand) a common occurance and is the engine designed to withstand it to a degree,with the prop spinning around the hub?

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Sharkcat<br /><br />Would you need to go to Holland to get the Dykes ??

patrolcarr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Specks, when I removed the prop, the nut holding it in place actually came off in my hand without the aid of a wrench. In fact it seems as if it was actually held in place by the cotter pin. Maybe that,combined with hitting some sand the other night did the trick. The thing that bothers me is that the engine ran at full throttle for about 2-3 hours after I hit bottom. It was when I was coming in to dock,at about 1/4 power when it disengaged. Any ideas? Still sound like a spun prop? I figured it would have dis-engaged right after I hit bottom, especially when I opened it up, rather then at the slower speed that it actually did disengage.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

After removing the cotter pin and the nut, the prop should slide off the splines easy.<br /><br />When you refit you must grease the shaft ( marinegrease) and use a new nut if neccessary and always a new cotter pin.<br /><br />If it does not come off easily, more radical means may be needed.<br /><br />The rubber in your hub is designed to absorb certains shocks from hitting ground etc. but it will give in to severe 'diggin'.<br /><br />The way to check if it's spun is to mark the shaft end and the prop, test run it and check if the marks have moved apart.<br /><br />The old prop can be rehubbed or you could look for a replacement - bargains very often available and also a way to get a different pitch etc.

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

Poor sharkcat, he went to holland and couldnt even plug the dykes :eek: ... so I guess he got wet, lol<br /><br />yep yep, spun prop hub is even closer than the 99 44/100 % Ivory soap I had to clean my hands with after the aforementioned post - you COULD be popping out of gear, but sounds like a prop done spun on ya<br /><br />no biggie, buy two new/used props, mount the better of the two and have the other for a spare<br /><br />also, keep cotter pins and shear pins on board at all times<br /><br />and ....<br /><br />a pair of dykes!!<br /><br /> :p

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

YOU GUUUYYYSSS....