weak water flow

aux1205

Cadet
8hp yamaha, new water impeller very weak water flow out of tube.Tube is clear.Any ideas ?

frusterated

Cadet
Re: weak water flow

Make sure that the tube from the inlet was reconected properly when the lower unit was reassembled

SJ~brett

Cadet

i know this is an old thread, but im experiancing the same thing with my low hour '99 8hp yamaha. it ran fine all day and peed regularly. i took it home and hooked on the ears to flush the motor and the flow was very weak, little more than a mist. the motor had sat for awhile so i figured id put tin a new impeller anyways. i put i dropped the lower unit and everything looked pristine, minimal corrision at all. even the old impeller but i replaced it anyway. i treid to flush it again with the same result.

the pisser on these seam to be really small compared to my old johnson 9.9.

any help greatly appreciated!

kvan64

Seaman Apprentice

I think this pissed water is only an indicator so that you know the pump/impeller is working. As long as there is strong turbulence coming out from the lower unit, I guess it's working all right. By the way does it **** more when in water? - (not on muffs)

Asainz320

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i dont know why but my yamaha doesn't pee much when on the muffs. When it is in the water it works fine so i dont worry about it.

SJ~brett

Cadet

i used a toothpick and wigled it in and out of the pee hole, and no it works like a champ. i hope whatever it was that blocked it came out, and not just floatin around in the cylinder

island boy

Seaman

Most of the time the little orafice that goes throught the casing gets plugged and the hose and all the rest of the system is fine. Very frusterating my 2004 9.9 does the same thing about every 3 or 4 weeks.

joeystoy

Recruit

I run my 1987 Yamaha 8hp in salt water and it has done this since it was new. I keep a pipe cleaner handy to give the outlet the occasional reaming. Works like a charm.

This week, though, the motor is giving me trouble for the first time in 21 years. It starts right up. Runs fine. Then when I give it WOT it runs great for a minute or two, then shuts down. Starts up again. Runs rough. Leave it for 20 minutes and it does that same thing all over again.

I've changed the gas tank, filled it with new gas, changed the hose fittings and priming bulb. Even replaced the spark plugs.

Any ideas?