Silly Idle question! Steering Question

gqchris

Recruit
Hey Guys,<br /><br />I just bought a smaller boat yesterday and I am used to I/O's of the larger size. It is a Suzuki 30hp, Motor looks immaculate. Starts right up at the flick of a key, my question is, it doesnt seem to want to let me gooose it in neutral. Almost like it is running off one cylider in neutral. If I kick it into gear though in the driveway, it sounds fine and wants to rev up high. Is there some sort of neutral idle thing that happens on outboards for ssfety or something?; I havent taken it in the water yet because im restoring the boat, but i think it will run fine in gear. <br /><br />Also, any ideas on why the steering is so tight? Is this normal for an outboard>? Is my cable bad?<br /><br />Thanks for the heads up guys!<br /><br />Chris

D

DJ

Re: Silly Idle question! Steering Question

Chris,<br /><br />Revving up a 2-stroke in nuetral-too high- is not a good idea. Thus, the control boxes only allow about 1/2 throttle movement in nuetral.<br /><br />Tight steering points toward two possibilities.<br /><br />1. Cable binding/corroded. Either one will probably require replacement.<br /><br />2. Swivel bracket (on engine) binding. Verify the engine moves freely by unhooking the tilt link and try turning the engine.