Is Ring free additive effective after the fact?

patrolcarr

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 130 Yamaha with about 130 hrs on it. I never added any Ring Free, or other type of carbon reducing products. If I begin using it now, will it clean any deposits that may have accumulated already, or will it simply prevent any more from accumulating in the future? Im sure tis has been discussed but Im still a little new here. Thanks in advance. Pat

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Is Ring free additive effective after the fact?

it will clean the deposits out of the engine.just make sure you keep up on it every 100 hour,some guys do it more often.i am not sure what kind u are looking to use the take additive or the spray ? you might want to do the spray the first time this way you really get it into the cylinders and let it sit a few hours then take her out and run her hard.eather way doing it now is better then not doing it at all

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Decarbing is a 2 part process. The first part is preventative, done by using a fuel additive to prevent carbon build up. SeaFoam or Ring Free are such fuel additives and can be found at most auto parts stores. It also works as a fuel system cleaner and should be used as a preventative maintenance procedure.<br /><br />If your intent is REMOVE the existing carbon buildup from the cylinders, heads, and rings, then a spray decarb solvent product is needed. Buy at least 2 cans of decarb. Some people use one can per cylinder.<br /><br />Run engine at fast idle, with engine running, slowly spray liberal amount into each carb,<br />spray some more, spray a larger amount into carbs until engine chokes out and stops,<br />remove spark plugs and spray decarb liberally into each cylinder, install the spark plugs, let it soak for 1 to 10 hours. <br />Start the engine and run at medium throttle, or if at the lake, run it at full throttle. It won't hurt to spray some more through the carbs. Run it for atleast 10 minutes to flush the crud out of your engine. Now remove and clean, or replace the spark plugs.

Fouled Plug

Ensign

Yamaha suggests a 'double dose' of Ring Free initially, then a regular addition to fuel afterwards. The first treatment is supposed to remove any deposits, then the additive prevents future gunk accumulation.