Static Timing adjustment problem ...

spete

Petty Officer 2nd Class
('98 115 hp yamaha-B115TLRW) <br />Before attempting the static timing procedure for the second time, I rechecked and reset the sync/link on the carb with oil pump linkage disconnected. For static timing adjustment, book indicates to hold flywheel at the 25? BTDC full advance timing mark. Then to push magneto lever until it touches the full advance adjustment screw. I then check the alignment of the mark on the magneto base and the mark underneath the flywheel. <br />(I've checked/left the full advance screw/stop at the designated length 1.02 in. which still has factory paint intact.) <br />If i am to adjust according to the book I still need to lengthen the magneto linkage to get magneto mark to line up with flywheel mark.<br /><br /> (I've done this procedure once already and i lengthened the the linkage out 4 turns - I must be missing something) <br /><br />Since the mark under the flywheel corresponds directly with the BTDC marks (fixed distance) I'm assuming that as i turn the flywheel clockwise it becomes less advanced, which means that as I lengthen the magneto lever linkage (with the timing mark) and move the the magneto base pointer further clockwise and out from the magneto lever I am moving to a less advanced timing. Right now if I put the magneto lever against the full advance stop the BTDC mark measures 28?? The only way I can see to get that to 25? BTDC is to lengthen the magneto linkage some more and it's almost out as far as i feel comfortable going. Any insight into this would be great.<br /><br />p.s. - the book mentioned that throttle be in neutral, the only way for me to get the magneto lever to move freely was to push the throttle neutral button in and move the trottle up almost to where it will start to increase the idle speed?